Thursday, December 04, 2008

November Reading: Part 2, Nonfiction

The Room of Marvels – “Room of Marvels mirrors author James Bryan Smith’s own heart-wrenching season of loss when his mother (Wanda), close friend (“Awesome God” singer Rich Mullins), and two-year-old daughter (Madeline) passed away within months of each other … Room of Marvels takes readers on a silent spiritual retreat with [the author] where he is swept up in a dream vision of heaven and given a guided tour by those he has lost. Reminiscent of the C. S. Lewis classic, The Great Divorce." [NOTE - After posting this I realize, it should probably be listed with "fiction"! But since it's allegory/theology, shared through story, it sort of bridges that divide. MKS]

Rereading this book for the third or fourth time, putting on music I’ve loved since college on the tape player in my car, and pulling on a sweater I've had for about 20 years, I realized how easily content I am with the things I already have. I am glad to have a library card and a budget and other ways to learn and explore new things, but I am just as happy with familiar books, music, clothes, etc. as with new ones. So, uh, don't look me to do my share to pull our economy out of recession, huh?

Whom God Has Joined, by Isobel Kuhn – Fun stories about John and Isobel’s life together as missionaries in China for two decades; blogged about it here. This is the third or fourth of Isobel’s book I’ve read. Snagged it from the OMF library, where there are lots more! Also intend to bring home some more by Phyllis Thompson, one of OMF's best writers.

Living Water, by Brother Yun, ed. Paul Hattaway – A series of devotions from the Chinese Christian whose story is told in The Heavenly Man. I'll admit I didn't read this properly, but sat down with a coffee and cruised through it in about an hour to get the gist of the thing. Need to go back and meditate more. I appreciated reading the scriptures – and seeing the global church and world missions – from the perspective of a gracious Asian. Good stuff.

2020 Vision: Amazing Stories about What God Is Doing around the World, by Bill & Amy Stearns – The Stearns clan came for a visit, and I wanted to read their latest book before they came. They have written several things along these lines. I would happily recommend this engaging mix of current events, history, and Bible to stir people up for world missions. A good read.

Also read:

No comments: