Sunday, December 14, 2008

Catnip and the Complete Needs System

According to the makers of “Catnip Mist” our little tabby cat Lucy needs stimulation. Lucky for us they are ready to provide it. SmartyKat’s complete needs system apparently distributes products to cover all 12 of the “needs” they identify.

How much are we like cats? Catnip does nothing for me, but the basic need it addresses, well, I need stimulation too. What about you?

My list of “instinctual needs” might not include “hunt, scratch, and privacy.” But the ones listed as “physical needs,” though they may play out differently, are much the same: “nutrition, exercise, hygiene, stimulation, rest, and safety.”

And “emotional needs”? Well, we’re probably more complex than cats on this one. But I can identify: a nice blend of “interaction, independence, and treats” goes a long way with me!

Roommate Deb has pointed out several times that Lucy is setting us a good example by taking time for a good stretch, frequently. And she says when I can arch my back like Lucy I’ll get a treat.

LATER: OK, so I do need to include "hunt" down as one of my instincts after all. I hunt for my keys, fingernail clippers, my notes from that meeting I had the other day, that shirt I wanted to wear, a screwdriver, a roll of duct tape, a box that's just the right size...

3 comments:

Dean Smith said...

For the past few days we have been dog-sitting a miniature poodle. The first two days the dog wouldn't have anything to do with me, would not let me even tough him. I think this resulted from me trying to put his leash on him the first day. He bit me and went into his "room," (crate) for the rest of the day. Then he suddenly walked up to me, jumped up on my lap and started licking my face. Now I am his best buddy. He goes home next weekend. His name is Beauklie? (French for 'curley').

Not enough to make me want another dog right away.

Marti said...

Hmmm. Maybe he just needed time. I think the spelling is boucle, with an accent on an e.

Here's some news: Lucy got her first mouse! Sadly, it was a catch-and-release situation. She let him go, probably mortally wounded, and he limped behind the fridge, according to Deb. I am afraid I should move it and make sure we don't know have a mouse corpse.

Dean Smith said...

A little blur will hide the wrinkles, and use a camera with a low resolution. I took a picture of my father-in-law with my Nikon D90 and it shows the angle of the cut on every whisker. He didn't like that.