Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dealing with Differences, Part 2: Loyalty & Dissonance

The last year of my life has held so many twists and turns. While most of the time I’ve navigated them – and helped others navigate them – without losing grace, faith, and hope, I think I’m experiencing delayed whiplash.

As our ministry fought to survive, leaders appealed to staff to give loyalty to quickly changing plans, policies, priorities, and personalities. I’m not one to give unthinking lip-service or to just shrug my shoulders and say “whatever.” At times I’ve been tempted; it would certainly be easier! But a friend, a counselor / intercessor type, had prophesied over me that I should not disengage, so I’ve tried to resist that; I’ve been fairly deeply involved in everything that happened. And it has cost me.

My capacity for loyalty has been badly strained. I’ve been enlisted to defend disastrous practices. I’ve come out of it not knowing whom to trust. Even interpreting what happened has been very difficult. People I’ve known for years and/or worked closely with hold radically different and contradictory opinions about that. And I’m in relationship with people on all these different sides.

I think that’s part of why I feel so ‘lost.’ I am trying to stay respectful and loyal and sympathetic to people who have strong, conflicting points of view. It leaves me both feeling confused - not sure what I think - and hypocritical, for listening to ‘the other side.’

It’s not that I don’t have experience with this sort of thing. There are several situations in my family that are like that; I guess I’m just used to them. And of course my work often has me, an evangelical Christian, sitting down with Muslims letting them tell me how great Islam is, but that’s never bothered me. I think everybody and everything is interesting and I want to hear their story and point of view.

But this time it’s tearing me apart. I think this is what my college professors would call “cognitive dissonance.” Here are a couple of definitions I snagged off the web:

Cognitive dissonance is a psychological term which describes the uncomfortable tension that comes from holding two conflicting thoughts at the same time, or from engaging in behavior that conflicts with one’s beliefs.

Cognitive dissonance is a psychological phenomenon which refers to the discomfort felt at a discrepancy between what you already know or believe, and new information or interpretation.

Cognitive dissonance is the feeling of uncomfortable tension which comes from holding two conflicting thoughts in the mind at the same time.

Dissonance increases with:

- The importance of the subject to us.

- How strongly the dissonant thoughts conflict.

- Our inability to rationalize and explain away the conflict.

Dissonance is often strong when we believe something about ourselves and then do something against that belief.

Trying to understand and give credence to radically different points of view has left me with a pretty serious case of dissonance this time. Sort of like indigestion… Actually, a lot like that!

So, with my insides still churning over these indigestible conflicts, I am reluctant to trust. This counselor I’ve started seeing says if you don’t trust someone, yes, it could be because there is something wrong with you, something hurt or broken or cynical, and you have to be able to ‘own’ that. But it could also be that the people you don’t trust are not trustworthy, and it may be a really good idea to, you know, not trust them! How does one know the difference?

I think all the loyalty whiplash has caused me to seriously doubt my own judgment. I come up with alternate points of view about everything and am constantly second-guessing myself. I’ve lost my ability to evaluate things and stand by my own judgments. Or to be a bit more crass, I can’t tell crap when I see or hear it. Or maybe I can tell, can feel it, but I am not willing to call it what it is because maybe it’s just something I don’t understand; maybe it isn’t crap after all. I don’t want to make the call; I could be wrong. Basically, I don’t trust myself.

This is making it very hard to make decisions and commitments and be happy about them. I’m angry, hurt, frustrated and disappointed with various people and situations, and I’m wired up in such a way that people can usually tell. But I’m unwilling to really acknowledge those emotions or give myself permission to let them run their course, partly because I find emotionalism rather distasteful, and partly because people punish you when you express negative emotions, but more, I think, because I have little confidence that my own feelings are justified or valid. All this is making me a bit sick in the head I think. Well, fairly unstable and unhappy anyway.

Phyllis (the counselor) says the way to get better may be to get in touch with who I am as a person. What do I really care about, need, value? Not what do people expect or want from me, or what are good girls or mature Christians supposed to do and think, but who am I really? If I can identify and pull back in the bits of my personality that are really authentic, I can evaluate them and decide what to keep. I can decide what I really need and care about and what things I am willing to be flexible about or want to change or grow in. That should make it a lot easier to trust my own judgment, and then to trust and give my loyalty to other people. Not to always trust, always be loyal, but to give my trust and loyalty where I choose, or (though it still sounds arrogant!) where it is due.

Of course, I seriously like being someone who is open-minded and knows how to listen. And I’m also pleased that a lot of my harsh edges have been knocked off, that I can be gentle and compassionate and flexible and forgiving and understanding. And fair. I want to be fair. I don’t want to get rid of those traits. But I’ve got a hunch there are some unhealthy aspects of them that I don’t need to keep.

This is all pretty scary to me, because Christianity and psychology sometimes seem to pull in different directions. I want to be one of those people who has faith and takes risks. I don’t want to be one of those people who has to have everything figured out. And I don’t want to become one of those people who is mostly interested in ‘doing what is good for me.’ But a true walk of faith is going to be healthy, sustainable, and authentic. So, with your prayers, some help from Phyllis, and the love and wisdom of friends... that’s what I’m working on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think maybe this runs in the family, or maybe it really is the human condition and some of us are just more conscious of it. Or maybe dissonance is the price of thinking about things.

Your story could be my story with a few names and institutions changed. I felt that the institutions were too big and powerful for me to change, so I just ran away. But guess what, the issues just followed me. I was able to rediscover the same problems wherever I went. I don't realy think I took the problems with me. Rather, I think I took my sensitivity to those kinds of problems.

Over the years I have learned that I can speak up. Noam Chomsky said, "Silence is complicity." Indeed, the cost of speaking up, even if it is immediately painful, is less over the long term than being silent.

I admire you, Marti, for speaking of these things in this blog. This is not exposure. It is therapy. I salute you.

Your Dad

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! It is full of truth, humility and grace.

You're insight here, into yourself as well as the situations you were and are now in is powerful.

I think this is something that plagues all of us "ministry-types". We want to be "good" followers who don't make our leaders' lives difficult (Heb 13:17), and often times that gets translated to mean being "loyal" to their every decision/command. We do that because we think that's what "good" followers do, good servants of Jesus do.

But as you are realizing it just ain't true. And it has damaging consquences.

I believe in your judgment. And I believe it is still in you - even about this whole situation. It just got buried under all the rubble. As you and Phyllis clear out that rubble, I believe you'll find it again.

You said, "Of course, I seriously like being someone who is open-minded and knows how to listen."

And I think that's a trait that everyone loves about you. But listening and believing that what's said is true are two different things. You both listen to a Muslim praise Islam, AND in your heart know he/she is sadly misled. So you already know how to do this. The trick is to learn to have the same attitude toward everyone in your life.

Marti said...

You'll both like this, Dad and Lu: I'm not sure I'm quite willing to follow this advice, but here's what Phyllis said. We had our second appointment yesterday.

"No good-girl bullshit. (She made sure I wrote it down.) When it's done you can adjust your attitude, but right now we need to get to the point where you can have some resolution. You're telling yourself to be resolved but it's not working. Go ahead and be angry, for the right reasons. Being compassionate and sweet and forgiving are good but courage, discernment, and fortitude are good gifts too. You are clever, and that's where your best gifts are. You need to keep those gifts sharp, so don't disconnect them all the time. It's better for you to misbehave and apologize later than to get derailed and not know who you are and what you think."

Freeing, but dang... Do I really want to be the bull in the china shop? (Maybe this is why I feel so ambiguous about romance, and about women's ministry: way too much china I might break!)

She gave me a creative writing assignment. Kind of weird but it just might work. We're not going to find the black box that will say why Caleb Project crashed. We aren't going to know what would have happened if this action was taken and that one wasn't. Andthat may be why, even after three months, some of us are still so messed up. But internally, I should be able to resolve some things if I let myself explore these conflicting loyalties.

So I'm to divide myself into all, each part of me, each angle of the situation, and write it out. Get at the parts that are not resolved by giving them free rein on paper. Stick with one voice, each time. Go ahead and say the things that seem mean or unfair or like they can't be true: go there. Listen to my voices. Just rant. Explore the angles, but don't try to reconcile them, separate them.

It may be exhausting, but should reveal what areas can't be resolved, what ones might require restitution or clarification or apologizing or just letting go.

Of course, I do tend to get carried away with my own eloquence... figure I'll come out of the exercise either shizophrenic or a lot healthier. Place your bets!

Dave Moody said...

A latte at the local coffee shop says healthier....

Absolutely loved the post Marti. You're on the right road sister...

dm

Anonymous said...

You're right. I love it. :) And I can't wait to hear what comes of it.

And I'll take that action too. Count me in with Dave -- except make it a chai (which you have to come to Nashville again to buy me!). :) You may feel like the former for a bit, but you'll actually be the latter.

paulmerrill said...

You're in a great place of health to realize where you're at with all this, Marti.

Being jerked around a lot in such a short period of time can make anyone gun-shy. But I even hate to say "jerked around" because that says God does not care. All of it is somehow mysteriously part of his plan. But His plan is never (or rarely) easy.

I am thankful for those breaths of fresh air (or cups of latte or chai) that come our way via His loving gifts from time to time. May He give you some good latte today. At least once.