Thursday, May 03, 2007

Blogging and Jogging

I have some deeper stuff to write about but for today, just this: I'm still running. Like blogging, it's good therapy, and I'm gradually improving. 1.5 miles has become my new minimum. OK, usually the maximum too, but it's a step up! (Extra benefits: I've lost 10 pounds and my legs look, well, um, pretty great.)

But Westridge, the rec. center I frequent, is closed this week. I'm not quite up to running outside. Although it would be more beautiful, the trails nearby lack the clear benchmarks that keep me going and include weather, hills, and other challenges / distractions.

Yesterday I tried another rec. center in our system: Northridge. And I'm here to report, it's a dud. The track is covered with carpet, no markings of any kind, and 18 laps to the mile, too small. Plus it was overrun with teenagers. I felt like I was running in their living room.

Tonight I will try Eastridge, and maybe go check out Southridge, as well, within the next few days. That's the newest and may be the nicest.

Who would have predicted I'd become a recreation snob? Of course, not so much a snob that I'd put money into it. All four of them are free, benefits of living in Highlands Ranch.

3 comments:

paulmerrill said...

Aaah, but when you've experienced something good, it's hard to go backwards.

For me (the opposite of good for you), it's Lindt dark chocolate - the 100gm bar in a blue package. Available at King Soopers - at least 2 years ago.

Barb said...

Agreed - it's coffee for me

Marti said...

You guys are tempting me... to go to King Sooper's and get some dark chocolate... then down to Kaladi's for some really good coffee.

Have you ever heard Eric C. tell his story about the coffee in A. Province? He liked it so much on the trip in '92 that he brought it back for all his supporters. It was the kind of coffee that just a sip of it makes you feel good... you know what I mean?

On a later trip, purchasing another batch, Eric started to rave about the coffee. A taxi driver started to titter, and filled him in on what makes the difference.

It's tradition to put a bit of cannabis in with the beans while they are roasting.