Thursday, October 02, 2008

September Reading and Re-reading

Huntingtower, by John Buchan - 1922 novel about a retired grocer who gets sucked into adventure; romantic in the old-fashioned sense of the word. You can get the text-version online here. The Scots dialect was tough reading in places, but it was fun.

Ruby Slippers: How the Soul of a Woman Brings Her Home, by Jonalyn Grace Fincher - I wrote a bit about this Christian non-fiction book about what really constitutes masculinity and femininity (and what just gets in the way) here. I found this really balanced, helpful - and freeing.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith - My book club is reading this "cosy" novel - set in Botswana, Africa - for an October 11 meeting (want to come? ladies only). As I picked it up I realized I had started, previously, with the second book, and hadn't read this one at all. This one may be the best.

Passage, by Connie Willis - Novel about a social scientist exploring - at great personal risk, as it happens - what really underlies "near death experiences." Bit disturbing. Well done though. Think I still like her shorter works better.

Point Me to Skies: The Amazing Story of Joan Wales, by Roger Clements - Another biography of a missionary woman in China - this one a teammate of some members of the Broomfield clan, whose matriarch was dear Amelia, HT's kid sister. A pretty good read, but maybe not stellar. And, darn it, the brand-new copy I borrowed still had a split spine by the time I returned it; Monarch Press needs to work on their production standards.

Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show - Science fiction short stories, some by OSC (a favorite writer), others by his students and friends, basically- worth the read.

Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven and Earth, by Dutch Sheets - My small group is reading this. It is a bit too long and heady for a group of our sort (our motto: "No homework!") so we're looking for some ways to pick up the pace. I've enjoyed the book - it's challenged my assumptions and habits - but it is getting a bit repetitive at this point.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, by J.K. Rowling - I do like HP. And this one may be my favorite; can't decide! Do you have a favorite?

On The Road with the Archangel, by Fredrick Buechner - one of my favorite books, ever. I could read Buechner all day long. This one is not deep, or challenging, just a beautifully written recount of the story of Tobit, from the Bible (Apocrypha). Buechner has a new book of essays and reflections out, and I placed a hold at the library for it.

Previous posts on this topic: Reading

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I always enjoy your book lists...so glad to see you're not an anti-Harry Potter person. They miss out on so much. I also have loved the Number 1 Ladies' Detective agency books...all of them! (You must read on!) I think the most recent is my favorite.