Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What Are We Afraid of?

Image: William Holman Hunt, "The Light of the World"

I didn’t know whether to laugh, or cry. I had asked the members of a small group I’m part of, “What are some of the reasons we keep God at arm’s length, that when he says “I stand at the door and knock,” we try to keep him out? What keeps us from really surrendering our lives to God?”

Fear, pride, shame, guilt – such things can maintain such a hold over us. But several specifically stated, “I’m afraid if I really surrendered my life to God he’d ask me to be a missionary.”

Maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was. As a mission mobilizer I sometimes feel I have the greatest job in the world – inviting people to give up their small ambitions and connect with God’s global plans! But how often is that message simply not connecting with people? Is there a barrier of acceptance based on a (possibly false) sense of what it’s going to cost? How many of my friends hear the word "missions" and translate it "misery"? How many believe, if you say to God, “Here am I, send me” he’s going to send you someplace terrible to do something that doesn't fit who you are, at all?

Some people also hold missionaries, or at least certain kind of missionaries, in such high esteem there is no danger that they would ever consider themselves able to join them. Sometimes our “positive” messages about missionaries paint pictures of missionaries as being happy and effective because they are more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. That may not be helpful either.

So, I guess we in the mobilization biz, mobilizing and equipping Christians for the completion of the Great Commission, have our work cut out for us. I don’t want to be naïve about this. I think we need to recognize the real barriers that keep people from giving themselves to God’s kingdom.

I repeated the story of that conversation with my small group to others a few times to get their reactions and as I did, my perspective changed a bit. You know, nothing worth doing really comes without cost, hard work, and often significant risk. Think of marriage, having children, building friendships – building a career, investing money, or giving yourself to a church or other form of intentional community. It’s a big risk. It’s not going to be easy. It may, at times, make you miserable. Being a missionary (or really giving yourself to one of the other ways one can make a difference for the kingdom) is no different. I wrote about this in my post Counting the Cost.

So perhaps it's only natural that we are afraid. And yet I am saddened by how often we let our fears stop us. My friend C. wrote in a recent Facebook conversation, “Fear has the potential to stop us from doing some of the most amazing things of our life. It's when I am pursuing something BIG, something of God, that I am the most plagued by fear.”

Me too.

3 comments:

Fiona L Cooper said...

Great post Marti, raising a very good point.

I think that if we give into the fear you mention, we risk losing out on the most amazing experience of God working in and through us.

Is it a lack of faith in God's ability to meet our needs?

Or a lack of faith that he really really loves us and that he truly works all things together for our good?

At the end of the day, it's no risk to follow God, whatever he's asking of you. I for one would rather be in the centre of his will than anywhere else, because I know that's the safest place to be. Even when it's hard and painful. There is a joy in knowing you are using the gifts God has given you to accomplish the purposes he has set for you to do.

I find it very sad when I hear friends say they're not willing to really seek God for fear of being asked to do something they will not be able to do, or whatever their reason. The fear certainly doesn't come from God. And they are really missing out on the best thing God has to offer them in this life.

And what if they sought God with an open heart and he told them he wanted them to stay right where they were? By refusing to seek God for his will in their life, they may be missing out on that real peace of knowing they're already right where God wants them.

Courtney O. said...

when i really stop and think about the non-profit brent and I want to start and the aftercare facility in AFrica that I dream about nearly every day, I get terrified. I remind myself, this dream is from God, I'll regret it if I never go for it. It's a mantra that works to soothe the panic bubbling up in my guts.
We're moving toward the dream, slowly, and with a plan in place, but I PRAY that when our day comes to get on a plane we'll have the guts to take that step.

Marti said...

Thanks, Fiona and Courtney, for your comments. May we not miss out on the best things life has called us to because of the apparent risks... and may God give both of you the grace and the guts to keep at it as you set an example in this respect!

Fiona, you make a good point - far better to ask God and get "Stay," than to hide from him lest he say, "Go!"