Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Advice from a C&E Pagan

Guess I'm a lapsed pagan. In my youth I was fairly superstitious, developed rituals, and had a friend who thought she might be a witch. Now it's all sort of gone by the wayside for me. Oh, I am still afraid of the dark and I hold onto the pagan holidays of Christmas and Easter, but in other respects I'm pretty nominal.

So maybe my advice about good ol' Halloween is not to be regarded. But this is my blog, so I'll give it anyway.

This Friday night, if you plan to stay home to give out candy to the neighborhood children (a grand Halloween tradition), watch the 1944 movie Arsenic and Old Lace starring Cary Grant. It's a scream.

5 comments:

Megan Noel said...

who thought she was a witch?
i am going to a halloween party as little red riding hood. i knitted my hood. my knitting class the next day got canceled so i can have my 1 drink and still sleep in the next day. 1 drink a week is my limit.

paulmerrill said...

We "celebrate" Halloween - our kids enjoy trick-or-treating.

Can't catch the film this time... we are having over "our" adopted Vietnamese family for their kids to join our in the trick-or-treating.

Ya can't beat free candy. After all, the parents get to grab a little of the bounty.

Marti said...

Meg - Silver R. was the one who thought she was a witch; do you remember? She told us/me with a mix of trepidation and self-importance that she thought she had magic powers. (Wonder what ever happened to Silver?) I look forward to seeing a picture of you in your red riding hood. (All the better to display your knitting abilities in, my dear.) I'd tell you to have a drink for me, but would agree - one a week is a good limit for the likes of us!

Paul - yup, I think trick-or-treating is great, too, regardless of its origins or abuses. And I am not above picking out a few pieces of candy for myself. Gwen's girls often come over to show Deb and me their costumes, and are kind enough to share the ones they don't like.

Megan Noel said...

don't worry, i am not an alcohol. a couple weeks ago i was going to have my drink but then i thought, "no, i'd rather have a glass of water" and i skipped my drink that week. i think that's a good sign anyway.

oh, yes. silver. quite a character. you might google her with a name like that -- kind of unusual.

Gretchen said...

I LOVE Arsnic and Old Lace!!! Must get it out again!!