Monday, August 31, 2009

Camping



Went camping with some friends this weekend. Had a great time!

Site was about two hours from home in a place above Boulder called Indian Peaks, as the mountains in this region are mostly named after tribes: e.g., Navajo, Apache, Shoshoni, and Audubon (presumably the bird guy, not the name of an Indian tribe).

We stayed at a campground next to Lake Brainerd, alt. 10,300 feet. Beautiful. I love nature but it doesn't always love me; don't tend to do well hiking above 9,000 feet (which covers most all the hiking destinations in Colorado, though Denver sits at a modest 5,280). I anticipated breathlessness and a killer headache. But we went slow and stopped often for water, snacks, or to snap pictures, and I had no problems at all. Maybe the workout-habit I picked up a few years ago is paying off, too.

>> See more pictures.

No comments: