Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Busca Tu Media Naranja?

A week ago or so ago I finished the book “Falling in Love for All the Right Reasons: How to Find Your Soul Mate.” It was written by the guy who started e-Harmony. He has this great ambition to reduce the divorce rate in America, 1% a year or something. And after lots of research he’s convinced that one of the best things we can do to keep marriages from failing is to encourage people to marry others with whom they have as much in common as possible.

He identifies 29 areas and says in the best marriages, the partners are highly compatible in nearly all of them – 24 or 25 anyway. Of course, having ‘one of the best marriages’ is not for everybody. That is to say, great marriages are rare. (But we do all want to be among that select group that have them!) And of course commitment is the most important factor. But finding the love of your life, your soul-mate (or in Spanish, media naranja, 'orange half'!) is largely a matter of choosing well, he says. So, he recommends really knowing who you are and what you are like and only giving yourself to someone who is a lot like you in those key areas.

He also urges readers to make sure they know each other very, very well, and probably to spend a long time getting to that point.

Most of the things he identifies, like intelligence, or ambition, education, sense of humor – are neutral. Do you laugh at the same things? It’s just a matter of being similar, being compatible, whatever you are. If you hook up with someone who thinks and values very different things than you do, especially in areas in which people don’t tend to change much, it'll be hard.

And of course most of us have some areas that are really important to us and others that are not. For example, it’s a bigger deal to me that my partner have the same spiritual worldview as I do than it is that he has the same level of interest in sports or arts, or sees politics the same way. The author gives a list of 16 things which he calls core personal dimensions – areas in which people may change, but not much – as well as six skills or qualities one can develop.

There are seven dimensions, though, which the author identifies as screening dimensions. If you and/or someone you’re interested in don’t have these things under control, you really shouldn’t be thinking about getting married. So, the fact that you both, say, come from massively dysfunctional family environments and haven’t dealt much with how it’s affected you, you shouldn’t say, oh good, we have that in common. Nope; you should get out!

I’m not sure I agree with the author on every point; one does see his prejudices. But I want to take his challenge and research seriously. And darn it, I saw some things that might describe =me= in several of his ‘screening dimensions.’ The list includes:

  • Good character (honesty, integrity, morality)
  • Quality self-conception (emotionally healthy enough to love others well)
  • [Freedom from] addictive behavior (as well as self-control and discipline in a larger sense)
  • [Patterns of healthy] anger management (willingness to enter into conflict and ability to deal with conflict well)
  • [Freedom from] obstreperousness (mood swings, harshness, being impossible to please)

Am I a bit obstreperous? Yeah, I think I am, and this could be a problem! Particularly in a relationship with someone (perhaps weak or vulnerable in some of the other dimensions?) who really wants a patient, forgiving woman whom he’s confident won’t be harsh or critical with him. I can be sweet and gentle, but I also seem to have sharp teeth and claws, too! Can anything be done about that? Or should I just accept a certain level of obstreperousness within myself and look for someone who =wants= a tiger?!

I guess I’m still trying to figure out what it means to be committed to personal growth without going down a path that is actually contrary to being who God made me to be. Or to put it another way, I want to strive to be the best person I can be, without striving to be the kind of person I can’t or shouldn’t be! And what that might look like still seems pretty mysterious. I wish I were a simpler person – that I knew with greater confidence who I am, what I need, and what I have to offer, but perhaps these things are slowly becoming more clear.

The question of how to prepare myself for marriage is one of great interest to me at present, because right now I'm feeling that I’ve just about had it with singleness. I know, that’s probably not a good-enough reason to marry someone. But if there are things disqualifying me from being a good marriage partner I want to see them clearly – and if possible, to work on those things – so that as much as it’s up to me I can be in a position to say yes if or when the opportunity presents itself.

5 comments:

Barb said...

My obstreperous (my word for the day) wasn't totally revealed until I was married. Some things about yourself aren't discovered until you're in the midst of that committed relationship. And then what do you do? You remember your vows and that your spouse is their FOR you, to sharpen you, to make you complete.
It's hard to say, "I must know myself before I can commit to another." Then the marriage won't happen. It is a leap. Compatibility is good but humilty and servant-attitude and sacrificial/selfless love will get you farther. And those things grow as you use them all in union for the betterment of your better-half, which makes you a better-half.

Anonymous said...

i believe my last relationship ended primarily because of my grumpiness. :( can i have it extracted?

there is a book i bought and have not read yet , though i a a fan of the author (she is a zen monk) called: be who you want to find. i should give it a try. my favorite of hers is: there is nothing wrong with you regardless of what you were taught to believe.

Anonymous said...

Sharp teeth and claws are good! Use them liberally on everything that threatens the Godliness of your marriage and family. Use your sweetness and gentleness on your husband and children. (It's a constant battle, and I too-often lose!) Remember, it's not "me against him;" it's the world, the flesh and the devil against US!

Marti said...

Barb - Yes, I can imagine the shock of getting married and then discovering all the things about yourself - or conceivably the other person - that, if you had known?? So it's always going to be a challenge, a leap, a risk! The tricky thing (ah, poor me!) is that unlike so many people around the world and throughout history I =do= have a choice about whether I marry and whom I marry. How to steward that responsibility?

Tom - yes, I hear you: everything doesn't have to make sense, doesn't have to be explainable. I'm not looking to just tick off the boxes. But I =do= think one ought to give a relationship the time grow and mature, rather than willfully jumping into something that's not tested by time and experience, if it's possible to do that.

Meg - ah, grumpiness. Can we blame others for not wanting to be around us when we're so prone to it? I do think it's worth the effort to become the kind of people we would want to be around, that it's crucial to others coming to the same conclusion. RE: "there is nothing wrong with you regardless of what you were taught to believe," however, I don't think I'd agree. I think there's something =very= wrong with all of us. But nothing incurable!

Paula - Excellent advice! The chapter you sent me a link to was very helpful, by the way. (http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=86&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=198)

And when I discussed it with my [type#1] guy he thought a lot of it rang true. Myself, I was a little aghast... is that the way it really is? But her explanations helped me see that it might be OK. Thanks for thinking of me; sorry to be so long to acknowledge it. I have a HUGE list of flagged emails that desire meaty replies. If I don't answer them right away I tend not to!

I think I'm done reading relationship books for a bit, though. Well, I do have one more. I had been meaning to read, 'The Five Love Languages' and have a copy of it on my shelf now.

Marti said...

Oops, here's the article I was referring to, which I heard about from Paula. It's from a book called 'Created to Be His Helpmeet," by Debi Pearl.

See: http://snipr.com/1nq4s

"Most young girls are married only a short time when they make the awful discovery that they may have gotten a lemon...When a girl suddenly finds herself permanently wed to a man who is not like she thinks he ought to be, rather than adapt to him, she usually spends the rest of their marriage — which may not be very long — trying to change him into what she thinks her man ought to be."

She says there are three types of men and that one secret to being a good help to the one you find you've married is to recognize which type he is so you can understand and support him in that, and not expect your Mr. Rogers to be John Wayne - or vice versa!

If you are more on the feminist side you might be a bit offended - after all, is marriage all about HIM? What about him learning to be a good husband to HER? But the question of how to be a good wife is at least half the battle. And for those of who are women, more.