Friday, July 10, 2009

Thank you thank you thank you

Here's a good example of the kind of emails I like to get. You probably do, too. This one showed up in my in-box Friday morning.
"O my goodness. I cannot believe that you finished ________! Wow. Awesome. ... Thank you thank you thank you for all of the time and energy you put into that ...

"Marti, you have been such an encouragement to me. Thank you. You are wonderful.

"And you were right about _________. I have found that it makes a huge difference. [concrete example here] I am encouraged. And even in the past couple of days I have thought of ways I can change certain things for the better ...

"Thanks for reading, Marti! Hope you have a wonderful day today."
My friend Elizabeth wrote this. She's very much an encourager. (Can you tell?!) She's also very open to input from others. So, it's easy for me to bless her and make a difference in her life, too.

The circumstances of our relationship don't hurt. Elizabeth is about half my age, and she's overseas this summer doing work for which I trained her. We spent a good bit of time together last summer, and she confided in me about her hopes and struggles, and I've shared some of my own with her as well.

Now she's back on the field, leading a group of people who, for the most part, have not done this kind of work before. She doesn't have a lot of people she can turn to for feedback and affirmation. It isn't surprising that she'd be particular responsive to any helpful words I send her way.

Her expressions of gratitude are not due, then, to me being so wise and wonderful. They are more due to Liz being in a vulnerable situation, and to her being so tender, and open, and in the habit of speaking words that bless and encourage.

I could learn a lot about affirmation from paying attention to how Elizabeth does things.

* * *

I don't have a knack for encouraging. I'm more of a trouble-shooter, the kind of person who points out nuances or problems or issues that others might not see. That can be good, too. But my skills in encouragement are not so sharp.

This year I've tried to keep my message to Elizabeth and her team pretty simple. I think it's getting through. What I have to say to them is this:
    "You can do it!"
I bet I could put THOSE words to use in more places, too.

I've been thinking a bit about resilience, lately. What is it that develops in people the kind of flexibility and endurance that can see them through ambiguous and changing situations, and remain content?

One thing my scanty research* has turned up is that it's good to have high expectations. I've often heard that if you want to do well, cross-culturally, you need to be willing to go into it without any expectations, or with low expectations. I have never known how to do that, or how to teach other people how to do that.

But the people who research psychological resilience seem to say that on the contrary, high expectations are helpful. People rise to the occasion when they feel empowered, when they believe that others have high expectations from them and expect them to do well.

The people who get beat up in crises are those who feel helpless and incompetent. So, the message "You can do this!" equips people to cut their way through the emotional jungles.

Have you seen this in your own life? Who is there in your life that says to you, "You can do it!" Have you had a parent, teacher, pastor, mentor, or friend who spoke those words into your life?

* Yes, that's right, I looked in Wikipedia - shh! But this entry looks pretty solid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_resilience

2 comments:

Fiona L Cooper said...

I'm like you - not naturally an encourager, but I've been working very closely with someone who is very gifted at encouragement and it's been a wonderful blessing, even though she's SO encouraging, I sometimes feel she's exaggerating!

But she's made me realise the importance of just saying a few words to help someone feel positive about their work etc... So I've been trying to follow her example.

And what makes you think that your friend's expressions of gratitude are NOT due to your being wise and wonderful....? She may be putting it into words because of her gift of encouragement, but her words have to come not only from a desire to encourage, but also from a real appreciation of you and your work.

Let yourself be encouraged by her!!!

It's not always comfortable to be praised, especially when it seems exaggerated, but I'm beginning to kind of think of it as similar to accepting a gift of money for my ministry... by accepting it, I am affirming the other person's desire to bless me. And they do say it's more blessed to give than receive, so by accepting money or encouragement gracefully, I am allowing them to be blessed more than they're blessing me!

Marti said...

There do seem to be people who go over the top. But you're right, we shouldn't be looking for reasons to reject someone's affirmation!

This week we ran an article in our ezine on expressing gratitude. One reader had suggested our words of thanks are more likely to be received if we emphasize how what we are affirming affected us, without making sweeping statements about the other person's character, statements which they might feel the need to reject.

I'm more likely to be a person who under-affirms, rather than over-affirms. But I'd like to grow in this. Maybe I can't pour out lavish praise, but I could get in the habit of pouring out appropriate praise, more generously!