Saturday, April 14, 2007

Runaway Girlfriend

This winter, at 36 years of age, I found myself happily changing significant habits for the man I loved. I still had reservations, wondering if the changes were somehow untrue to myself or things that could not last... but I find that just about all of the changes are ones I want to keep.

For one thing, I became more feminine. I already knew I liked wearing skirts and keeping cut flowers on the table and watching chick-flicks and playing with babies and keeping house… but I discovered that the lace and curls and pastels, romance and sentiment and tears that previously I had treated with mild derision also seem acceptable and even desirable now. I don’t have to give up my turtlenecks, practicality, and intellecualism, but there’s room for another side of me. Yes, I’m a bit of a girly-girl.

Another thing is that I’ve started to take better care of myself, physically. It had been so long since I felt there was someone else who noticed or cared. Now there was. If I wanted to keep up with a high-energy man and whatever children God would give us, I would need to get in shape.

So I started running. If you’ve known me very well at all you will be surprised. Not as surprised as you would be if I took up something with the word ‘ball’ in it… (Most of you know that like my sister, I was born without depth perception. I'm hopeless at anything that requires connecting meaningfully with objects flying toward me through the air.) Running does not usually include flying objects, so it’s okay!

Well, I would not say I’ve mastered the sport. I’ll never be competitive or anything. What I’m striving for is regularity, better cardio-vascular fitness. Every other day or so I go to the Westridge Recreation Center and run about a mile, ten laps around the track. I’ve had a couple of setbacks: travel, of course. And I sprained my toe last month, which slowed me down. In England I bought a new pair of shoes which don’t pinch my wounded toe. So now I’m good to go again. I’m trying to get to the point where I can consistently run two miles. When I reach this modest goal I think I will reward myself with an MP3 player so I can listen to music while I run. I may also start using some of the machines and strengthen some muscles, but they are still a bit scary for me without a coach or companion.

I thought it would be more reasonable to run in the mornings, before taking a shower, but since I don’t sweat a lot this doesn’t seem necessary. I can go further if I’m already feeling alive and awake, so I go at night after work. When I come home I don’t feel like eating, and I sleep better without a big dinner.

Since I started running in order to keep up with Tom I wondered if it would be hard to continue, if running would stir my longing for him, my loneliness and self-pity, but so far, so good. Maybe there is something to this whole thing about – what are they called, the happiness hormones that exercise is supposed to release? Endorphins. I feel good about running. I feel good after running. And much to my surprise it’s even getting to be that I feel good =while= running!

I have been thinking a good bit about the importance of happiness. Particularly, the importance of knowing what it is that keeps us going, feeds our souls – what protects or renews or releases the energy that makes us a blessing to the world and people around us. We have got to know what those things are, as well as knowing about the lies, traps, and temptations into which we are prone to fall, and how to fight or escape them.

Would it be right to say we have a responsibility to be happy, to be free? Maybe I still have a lot to learn about this person inside my skin, what I need and like and what gives me life and sets me free, what stretches me or hurts me or causes me to shrivel up inside. So, a bit like Julia Roberts in the movie to which my subject line alludes, I am going to try spending a couple of months getting to know myself better.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post...I attended a luncheon this week and the speaker spoke on Women in Depression. Although when she started speaking she said ok we're only going to talk a few minutes about depression. After giving the overwhelming statistics(that we've all heard) regarding the subject matter she said we're now going to talk about happiness. She spoke of 5 principles that make sense to me and also seems like you're discovering Marti. She said maintain balance between life and self care. How much time to we "do work" and "play". She said play is an activity with no goal. The 2nd goal is to aligh your life with your values, both inner and outer. 3rd point was ignore those gremlin voices. These voices can come from all kinds of places, including the lies Satan wants us to believe about ourselves. The 4th point was to trust in our own resilience, but to also recognize when you need support and 5th to choose an attitude of abundance and gratitude. What do we have that "is enough" or what do we really need more of. These points need some meat on them and they were given from a secular point of view but looking at your post I thought there were some interesting similarities. You are enjoying the moment and doing what you want to do. That makes us happy! May God continue to bless you.

Anonymous said...

Marti, I just want you to know I'm so proud of you. You're taking huge risks & pressing on, even in midst of lots of pain. I'm thankful for your honesty in your blog & that you have a great outlet for your gift of writing too. Keep jogging, blogging & I'm trying desperately NOT to add another -ogging word. I look forward to seeing the continuing to grow Marti in a few months. Hope we can have some chai together. Much love & aching for your heart at times,
Julie

TomWebb said...

Oh my! your blogging is getting better. If we are able to understand, pain and loss like you have and get up again without anger, critism or hate and only allow healthy grieving to run a short course, we will come out wiser. This is you today, you are stronger, wiser and more attractive. More people want to be a part of your life.

I love you "Runaway Girfriend". Your high profile, public writing & teaching life does not help if you want to 'runaway'. He who loves you the most, 'the lover of your soul', He will find you.

Marti said...

Suzanne, it's good to hear from you! Thanks for writing. I'll ponder your comments. You know, a lot of people who know me consider me 'prone to depression,' although I don't tend to describe myself that way. But finally I asked my doctor what it would take to get some medical help on this. She reeled off a list of symptoms, none of which I had... So, no meds for me, alas. But lots of non-prescription things seem to make a huge difference. And again, I think it's important to know myself in order to serve others. For example, I told my colleagues a year or two ago that they were welcome to invite me to 2:00 meetings but that I'd discovered it was the time of day I was most likely to be negative and unable to come up with creative solutions, so 10:00 or 3:00 was better!

Jules, thanks for writing. I so appreciate your encouragement, and will certainly take you up on that chai when you are in town this summer! Yes, blogging has been a good outlet. What, you don't think I should add logging (not much to work with in Highlands Ranch) or, hmm, clogging? Dogging? Frogging? Keeping the blog is also a good way to keep in touch with people. In this case I'm particuarly glad to have the news of the huge stuff on my heart precede me, so I don't have to figure out who to get in touch with, what to say, etc. One shouldn't carry these things alone but it can be quite hard to bring them up when people just ask how you are, little suspecting!

Tom - hang in there. Thank you so much for believing in me, encouraging me, being proud of me. There's no way I can come out of this relationship feeling bad about myself, being stuck in guilt or shame or failure or rejection - because you have been so kind and good to me. May God renew you as well and continue to remake you in his image.

Anonymous said...

hi marti! you may not have clinical depression, but that does not mean you don't get depressed sometimes! and life has had lots of changes lately. even mild to moderate clinical depression (and the other kind) responds well to life style choices. they did a study at the UW where they treated women with nutrition, light, and exercise. almost everyone noted a significant improvement in symptoms. i am glad you don't have as much trouble with depression as i do.

maybe you will inspire me to start swimming again but you will NOT catch ME running! :) i did start doing my PT exercises again after slacking for a few weeks, so that's a start! and of course i walk a lot.

Courtney O. said...

you feel good WHILE running?! then you've beat me. Glad to hear that your pressing on with some of these things.
c

shantijoy said...

Wow, I just read your newsletter, then came to the blog...this was all the hardest information I have every read from you.
My heart goes out to you. That's all I know to say. Sincerely,
Shanti