Tuesday, June 18, 2019

"Do you have a PDF of the book I can use to compare to and restore my [censored] copy?"

The other day I got an email from a hotmail address. Subject line: I'm writing about your book, "Through Her Eyes."

Text:

Dear Mrs. Smith,

This afternoon I went to a book sale and picked up a pristine looking copy of your book for my home library. Turns out, however, that the previous owner didn't always agree with your opinions and defaced parts of your book with whiteout or black ink. She went so far as to whiteout whole paragraphs and to retitle one of your chapters. (I could send you pictures as evidence if you'd like.)
I don't want a censored book in my library. I find this kind of censorship repugnant- especially since she subbed her own words in for yours.

I considered just throwing it away and ordering a new book, but I'm on a fixed income. Do you have a PDF of the book I can use to compare to and restore my copy? Restoring the paper copy, even if the results are a bit messy, is my goal.

------

Scam or legit? It sounded so much like website comment spam that I googled several sections, expecting to find the this ruse documented. Nothing.

The idea that this person doesn't want to read an ebook version but to "restore" the paper copy they bought to an uncensored state seems pretty weird. The offer to send pictures could be a ruse to suggest sincerity. The rest to appeal to my vanity. And of course the text of the email contains nothing that would necessarily restrict their meaning to any particular volume - just the use of my name in the salutation and book title in subject line.

As it happens, although I still have a small stash of paperback copies, I don't have a PDF of the final version or even a copy of the Kindle edition (which the publisher pulled out of circulation). It's nice that it's still in print - at least print on demand.

The email was fishy enough I'm not going to respond. But I thought I'd post it here to give Google a hand.

No comments: