Saturday, May 16, 2009

"Seven Topics to Avoid if You Don't Want to Be A Bore"

This piece was picked up by Yahoo on Wednesday, as a human interest story I reckon. (Let me disclaim, the source blog is not one I've frequented. But the title of this piece caught my eye and I think the author makes a good point.)

Here's her list of topics you should avoid discussing, at a party, if you don't want to bore people:

1. A dream.
2. The recent changes in your child’s nap schedule.
3. The route you took to get here.
4. An excellent meal you once had at a restaurant.
5. The latest additions to your wine cellar.
6. An account of your last tennis game.
7. The plot of a movie, play or book—in particular, the funny parts.

While the list may seem random and incomplete, it does have a common thread:

"What do these subjects have in common? The listener has nothing to add. He or she must just hear you describe your experience."

I wonder if we could apply the same principle to blogging, Facebooking, Twitter, and the like? And do you think the opposite holds as well, that the topics which generate the most interest and feedback are the ones about which the recipient knows he or she has something to contribute?

Filed under Listening.

2 comments:

paulmerrill said...

I'm always sharing the contents of our wine cellar with everyone I meet.

Marti said...

Heavens, you must be such a bore, then, Paul!