Saturday, February 03, 2007

A New Day

So, even after the loss of our top leaders, more than a dozen staff resignations, and the elimination of several organizationally funded staff positions, our mission agency continues along. I think we’re going to make it! We are not going to be able to go back to where we were before or be what we had hoped to become. But nor, perhaps, will we have to give up and shut our doors tomorrow - in abject failure, unable to meet our commitments, care for our people, or continue the ministry God has given us.

This week brought some real breakthroughs in communication – apologies, admission of mistakes, and recognition of the disastrous results from what seemed like good decisions. I feel like the sunlight is starting to shine in on us.

Another big step was the current leadership getting into a position where they could clarify to remaining staff what it means that the organization will take care of us if we stay. People were leaving because the prospects were looking grim. But they are not as grim as they appeared. I think this, and some decent prospects for the continuation of our ministry in some form (probably under another organization) will staunch the hemorrhaging of personnel we have experienced in the last few weeks.

Several of the big sending agencies, blessed by the ways God has used us in years past, came to us with offers to do whatever they can to help us keep going and/or to make sure our people are taken care of. This means no matter what happens it looks like our staff will be able to receive their support and benefits as they dig in and rebuild, or transition into whatever is next. Although some of those who resigned or were let go suddenly are going to have a hard time finding new jobs, a number of them are moving into other ministries in positions that I think will be great for them. Some great things may come out of this diaspora! And that is a huge blessing.

As we’ve gone through this time of crisis and as I’ve wondered how dramatically different my life might be a year from now - if I marry Tom and move to Central Asia (see previous posts if this possibility is news to you) - I’ve really held onto and been comforted by the presence of God. He is with us! Here are some verses to cling to:

God’s presence is the very thing to quiet our fears:

“As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:5, 9)

This assurance of God’s presence is actually one of Christ’s names:

"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" - which means, "God with us." (Matthew 1:23)

When the disciples were devastated that the bigger-and-better-thing they thought Jesus was building was going to fall apart, and that he was going to leave them alone amid the ruins, he said:

“If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:23-27)

As we serve him, we can hold onto his promises:

“Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’” (Matthew 28:18-20)

In the end, the delight of God’s presence will be the chief mark of our existence:

“And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’ He who was seated on the throne said, ‘I am making everything new!’ Then he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’” (Revelation 21:3-5)

2 comments:

paulmerrill said...

Wow, Marti. Great to read your blog!

Blessings as you continue on with Tom.

Anonymous said...

Marti,
It was good to find your blog today (thanks Dave M) and catch up. Had heard about you & Tom via Bennetts—how delightful! Appreciated what you shared. We're looking for this New DAy as well, and your words are encouraging twds that end. Hope to be in touch. Praying with & for you!
Hugs, Julie