Thursday, May 27, 2010

Writing, Sleep

Writing

No deep and exciting blog posts from me, lately - but I'll probably be back before long. Meanwhile, trying to give myself more to journaling. Which has been very helpful, especially the "letter to God" sort of journaling. When I'm sharing everything with him I seem to have less "need" to spill with other people. Or when I do, what I have to say is richer and truer. So I'll go with that.

Sleeping

I sort of expected that being on sabbatical - with so few cares and worries, most of the time - would bring a sweet and restful sleep. But either because I'm getting older, or that my mind and body aren't getting enough use to wear them out during the day... it's hard to get eight hours.

Perhaps I'm getting what sleep I need though. Seldom irritable or reactionary these days. Oh sometimes, but not very much. I just don't seem to have a lot of anger in me.

But I am surprised that, angry or worried or not, I don't sleep very well. Wonder if there are some practical changes that would make a difference, e.g., a new pillow. Maybe earplugs.

Any advice?

You know, being single has its advantages, and one of them is physical autonomy. Whole bed to myself. Nobody snoring in my house. Eat how I want, and when. Nobody touching me when I want to be left alone. Of course there's a flip side to all that, but it doesn't hurt to count one's blessing!

Yesterday the sound of my cell phone, downstairs, threatening to turn itself off, was enough to wake me at 12:30 a.m. I got up, had some water, took an aspirin, straightened up my blankets, but nothing doing. Finally I picked up a novel and read until I heard the paper guy come at 4:00 a.m.

Eventually fell back asleep for another 2-3 hours. (Not an option most people have, that.) I have a phone-meeting-ish thing at noon, so am skipping my plans to head to a state park for a few hours... staying indoors and whipping up a batch of scones. Maybe finish that book (The Lacemakers of Glenmara), do a bit of housework.

No comments: