Tuesday, September 01, 2009

August Reading Roundup - Part 2, Nonfiction

A Resilient Life, by Gordon MacDonald - Pastor and writer looks at the habits, decisions, and disciplines that shape the lives of people who are resilient, and the things get in the way. Seems to be directed toward those who are in or beginning their "second half" of life, wanting to live wisely, keep growing, and make a difference. I found this volume helpful and gracefully written.

I blogged about several sections of it here: Life's Great (and Changing) Questions and Pesky Emotions.

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, by Barack Obama - The first black president of the Harvard Law Review (that was his big claim to fame, at 33) writes about his first few decades. This book explores Obama's family, upbringing, and search for his place in the world, including growing up in Hawaii, a couple years in Indonesia, school and university, and his early career as a community organizer in Chicago (working closely with the black churches, though he does not seem to have been a believer, at least not to start with).

Really interesting. A good chunk of the book describes an extended visit to Kenya where he tried to understand what it meant to be the son of a father he scarcely knew. Talk about a resilient life... I'm impressed.

The Invisible Wall: A Love Story that Broke Barriers, by Harry Bernstein - Boy grows up in a struggling Jewish family in a Yorkshire mill town between the wars. Though the Jews live on one side of the street and the Christians on the other, an invisible wall divides the two. Few are willing to cross it and face the consequences. Read this rather poignant memoir of those days for my book club, at the recommendation of Bob and Kathryn who live in that part of the UK.

There were things in this book that would have been changed had it been fiction. Reality does not unfold as gracefully, does it? Look for a new book from Donald Miller ("Blue Like Jazz") about trying to edit and find the narrative in his life. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life comes out at the end of September (I tried to get a review copy through this link but they were all snapped up pretty fast!)

Geography of Bliss, by Eric Weiner - Journalist explores the connections between place, culture, and happiness, visiting ten countries who pursue (and to some extend find) that elusive quality of bliss in various ways. Really enjoyed this one, learned a lot, and came away with much to reflect on. I blogged about this book here: The Geography of Bliss, and Switzerland, Iceland, Moldova, and the Geography of Bliss.

Crazy Love, by Francis Chan - Maybe I will blog about this as well. Here's a taste:

"I wrote this book because much of our talk doesn't match our lives. We say things like 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,' and 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart.' Then we live and plan like we don't believe God even exists." (p. 168)

"For so much of my life I didn't understand the desirability of God or trust in his love enough to submit my hopes and dreams. ...I knew God wanted all of me, yet I feared what complete surrender to him would mean. Trying harder doesn't work for me. Slowly I've learned to pray for God's help, and he has become my greatest love and desire." (p. 170)

>> See also August Reading Roundup - Part 1, Fiction

No comments: