Saturday, May 09, 2009

Vacation - 2

It's been good to have this week of vacation. My first time off in a year. I get back to Denver late Monday; am not planning to go into the office until Wednesday.

Yes, I have done some work-ish stuff while I've been gone. (For example, it was easier to get the ezine out myself than to document the process and equip someone else to do it, though I really ought to train a backup who can do my bit.) There's a lot of other stuff I could have worked on, but I've tried not to think about it. "Not working" seems a more effective route to getting things done, at this point, than to just keep working. I really needed a break.

Since I've had internet access every place we've been, I haven't stayed away from my usual puttering-around activities there, at least not entirely. But I've tried not to hide out in it. I've only pulled away to do something on the computer, or study the maps and brochures - I found myself pretty much in charge, reluctantly - or read a bit before bed, or go for a short run, or take a few pictures - so it may have still seemed like I was being antisocial. Don't know. At any rate, I've gotten good rest, and gotten to know Mom and Aunt Ginny a little better, and learned some things about the places we've been and the history and people of our country.

Real, extended, reflective alone time - something I am also in need of - might have been hard to manage. The three of us have been together most all the time and sharing a hotel room.

I'm not an introvert, you know; just a mildly broken extrovert. So, I have weathered the family togetherness reasonably well, even if I'm no longer accustomed to it.

I think I'm a little healthier, a bit more fit to go back to my regular life. And maybe it will be easier to pull away again.

This afternoon I'm going to visit my old college roommate and her family. They recently moved to the DC area. I'll spend the night and go to church with them, then rejoin my mom and godmother for a mother's day gathering Sunday afternoon. Fly home Monday. Not direct; I go to Pittsburgh, then back to Denver via Charlotte. A long travel day considering it's only 1500 miles or so. But maybe I'll do some more thinking and writing. Or maybe not.

Trying not to take myself too seriously!

No comments: