Sunday, May 17, 2009

Consciousness to Be Downloaded to New Hardware

I have a good post I was hoping to publish today but cannot access - it's on the hard drive of my laptop, where all good things that come from these fingers abide. Yes, there was an accident; a crash. Only minimal injuries, I'm led to believe. The patient (a two-year-old Sony Vaio) underwent reconstructive surgery later that evening and should be released Monday morning.

I believe all files are still intact and await transfer to the new hard drive. It's a good machine, the surgeon (a generous and knowledgable coworker) reports from the operating table; well worth the efforts to revive. Though this is the second time. (A pernicious virus drove us to a system reinstall not long ago.)

I type to you from a spare computer in our office, having dropped into the office on a Sunday evening to reconnect with my electronic world and see what is happening. It's quiet and peaceful here... I may stay until dark, get a few things done. I don't know how much of my Monday may be spent loading software, copying files, trying to track down drivers.

It is remarkable how accustomed we have become to having fairly constant Internet access. Some people can set it aside more easily than others. Me - well, here's a hint - "moderation in all things" is not my forte. (It's one reason I don't drink.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love empty and quiet offices. Though, sorry that the reason is a hospital stay of your laptop. Wishing him/her? speedy recovery.

Marti said...

Thanks... yes, quiet is nice, but losing capacity can be disappointing or frustrating too! All is well, now. I think! I haven't set up stuff like Skype yet, which I don't use very much. But it's probably more important to catch up on email.

Thanks for your well wishes!