Friday, March 27, 2009

Prayer as Hide and Seek

“I have always found prayer difficult. So often it seems like a fruitless game of hide and seek in which we seek and God hides. I know God is very patient with me. Without that patience I should be lost. But frankly I have to be very patient with him. With no other friend would I go on seeking with such scant, conscious response. Yet I cannot leave prayer alone for long. My need drives me to him. And I have a feeling that he has his own reasons for hiding himself, and that finally my seeking will prove infinitely worthwhile. … I long for more satisfaction, but I cannot cease from questing. Jesus sometimes found prayer difficult. Some of his most agonized prayers were not answered. But he did not give up his praying. I frankly have little to show for all my prayers, but I cannot give up, for ‘my soul longeth for God,’ and I know that outside God there is nothing at all but death.”

Leslie Weatherhead, A Private House of Prayer, p. 28, quoted in Prayer: Does It Make a Difference? By Philip Yancey, pp. 161-2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marti, it seems as though this book gives one much to think about and more than than the motivation to pray.

Thanks for sharing the tid bits with us that stuck out to you.