Sunday, March 08, 2009

February Reading

NONFICTION

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Philip Yancey – This is a great book. I read part of it and went to hear the author speak when it first came out, but only came into possession of a copy of my own this Christmas. I really like this book. Wrote about it here. May write more later.

Gift from the Sea, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh – I wrote about this slim collection of essays about the rhythms of life here, here, and here. Suggested it to my women's book club for April and they thought it sounded a good choice; I'll be interested to see what they think of it. Want to join us?

Exploring the Land, by Shane Bennett and Kim Felder, with Steve Hawthorne – This is one published by our ministry. And actually, it's pretty exciting to sit down and read it and think: yeah! This stuff is great! But I had a more practical assignment that caused me to go through it again. We're almost out of copies. It falls more or less on me to lead the process of preparing it for a reprint, probably a revision. So I was reading with a red pen in hand this time.

How much should or must we change to keep this 1995 book current and as helpful as possible, without making extra work for ourselves? Shane and I will work on it somewhat together (which is cool; I love working with Shane). But we have also invited input from Kim, Steve, and a few others.

FICTION

The Great Divorce, by C.S. Lewis – Read this again with my book club, which met this last Saturday to discuss it. It’s the story of a group of citizens from hell who get on a bus and go on a field trip to heaven, where others from their lives have lingered to meet them and encourage them to go on up into the high heavens. In order to do so, however, each must make difficult choices. This well illustrates how hard it is for us to say, “Yeah, I guess I was wrong all along,” even when forgiveness and joy are just around the corner.

Lavinia, by Ursula Le Guin – The story of the pre-Roman princess destined to be the wife of Virgil’s hero Aeneas. Of course, her mother has other plans – and has gone mad following the death of her two sons, Lavinia’s brothers. This is a well-written and imaginative filling-in of the many gaps in this part of Virgil’s story.

NOTE: If you like Ursula Le Guin, check out Changing Planes. The premise of this collection of linked short-stories is the accidental discovery that when circumstances align, a traveler enduring a layover between connecting flights may instead find themselves changing planes - e.g., dimensions. "Ursula Le Guin's deadpan premise frames a series of travel accounts by the tourist-narrator who describes bizarre societies and cultures that sometimes mirror our own, and sometimes open puzzling doors into the alien."

Eye of Jade, by Diane Wei Liang – The story of a young woman who has left her prestigious government job to set up a private detective agency in modern Beijing, and tries to turn her back on guanxi (power/influence/connections). The mystery takes backseat to the cultural and relational issues - e.g., dealing with her mother's manipulations and coming in time to understand them. Very interesting novel; recommended.

Sarah's Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay – The story of a ten-year-old girl who was among the several thousand Jewish children and their parents whom the overzealous French police rounded up one night to hand over to the Nazis; she locks her young brother in their secret hiding place, sure she can come back for him in a day or two. Her life is intertwined with the life of a journalist 60 years later who is investigating the roundup and struggling with her own place as an American in Paris. Disturbing, but compelling. Recommended with reservations.

The Daughter of Time, by Josephine Tey – (from "truth is the daughter of time") Detective Grant broke his leg badly and is stuck in the hospital, on his back, extremely bored, until a friend brings him a collection of portraits to study. The one of Richard III grabs his imagination. Was Richard really the cruel and ambitious uncle who ordered the murder of "the princes in the tower"? Grant sets out to find out. Great characterization, great writing, and an interesting look at a period of British history about which I knew little (as did the inspector. So, while it takes concentration to put the pieces together, it wasn't entirely over my head even if I am an American). Many say this novel is her best. But they're all good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading a writer's blog is so inspiring. This list is making me drool.

Marti said...

If I had a husband, four kids, an orphanage and as many other things on my plate as you have, I probably wouldn't be laying around in the sun reading books, would I? (Well, sometimes I read while traveling, or working out, or other more vigorous tasks...) God blesses each of us in different ways! I love reading YOUR blog, too!