Friday, March 06, 2009

Back to the Cubicle...

Got in from Louisiana about midnight Thursday (last night). Have now fulfilled ten of my eleven speaking engagements for the spring.

Almost all the groups have been in the 20-30 people range. You don't know, when you agree to these things, which ones will turn out to be large, which ones will turn out to be small, and it's wise to hold off on buying plane tickets until you know they are all going to make it. This year all but one class "made it," but most have been small. So even though I've taught a dozen 1-2 hour classes and workshops (including teaching history at eight Perspectives classes) I think I've still spoken to fewer than 400 people; just shy of that figure. After all the travel and preparation it does seem a bit disappointing.

On the other hand, the dynamics at the smaller groups are often better. Unless the class is canceled they still cover my expenses, and when circumstances align I'm able to spend a good chunk of the next day meeting with people who were in my class the night before, which means I get to hear many of their stories, too. It can be a lot of fun.

Along the way I've also been able to sell about 50 copies of Through Her Eyes and picked up 123 new subscribers for our ezine.

If you're interested, take a look at some pictures from Louisiana here. If you didn't catch those from my trip to the Southwest, the week before, you can find them here. (Didn't take any snaps in Indiana or Atlanta, my previous trips)

Frequent flier days are over for a while now. The last engagement of this sort is closer to home - I'm speaking in Fort Collins, CO, on the Ides of March (beware). First Presbyterian Church, 6 pm.

No comments: