Saturday, November 29, 2008

Gradual Dazzle

Why is it I so often think of something worth writing down when I cannot? I’ll be driving, or in the shower, or cooking a meal, when something clicks. My mind often working best (loosening a knotty problem for example) when it’s quietly running in the background. Turning my full attention to something is sometimes just the thing, but other times causes the brain to freak out a bit. It’s like having a conversation with someone who is socially maladjusted, who stares at you and stands too close.

If I try to completely relax, that’s not good either. The feverish thoughts of a sleepless night seldom hold much insight. A friend of mine recently said, "guys can just go to the street called Oblivion...." I know women who can do that too, and men who can't, so it's a bit of a stereotype. I'm not like that, at any rate. Throw me for a loop and I tend to "stay thrown" for a good while.

The trick to getting to the place where things click is that you have to be awake, alert, and focusing on something that doesn’t require too much thinking.

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant -
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise
As Lightening to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind –

Recognize those words? They’re from Emily Dickinson.

No comments: