Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Material World

February 21, 2007: Sky Harbor Airport, Phoenix, Arizona - Was expecting to fly back to Denver this morning but my flight was cancelled. I’m booked on another in a couple hours which will take me home via Los Angeles. So I have an extra window of time for rest and reflection, if not one of my choosing. Thank you, Lord, for this gift.

I was here to teach a couple of Perspectives classes. It has also been good to meet some new people and hear their stories, catch up with my old friend Meg, and make a visit to the mission agency Frontiers which has a brand-new headquarters here. And yes, it was good to get away from the continuing eddies - some of them rather fierce - that are following the sinking of our organizational ship - to hang out with people who are in a healthier place.

Here's an observation. I’ve noticed that most houses in the Phoenix area have a very large ‘footprint.’ Spacious homes, adjoined by patios and pools, stretch across sprawling lots as if spreading themselves as far as they can, hugging the clay and earth to stay cool, perhaps.

And here's a response: I like staying with people when I travel but there is one attendant risk, or danger - the temptation of house envy.

What I actually envy has changed over the years. The place I stayed this week wasn’t unusually charming or interesting (like the Victorian place my friend Ann used to have, with all the antiques and the secret room).

This time it was the ample cupboard space in the kitchen; sure aroused my desire. Ah, to say goodbye to the clatter of pots and pans early in the morning when I’m trying to put things away in our crowded kitchen cupboards, or the frustration of being unable to find a lid!

And the room-sized clothes closet behind those shiny mirrored doors in the master bath? I want it! Then I could hang all my clothes instead of keeping many of them folded on shelves to be pawed through and refolded impatiently, all the time; I don’t have enough room in my closet and no room for a dresser. So sometimes I have trouble finding anything that isn’t wrinkled.

There are considerable benefits to having a small house, restrictions on how much one can acquire, and a low cost of living. I like living simply: traveling light through this world. But this jealousy has overtaken me before. As a single woman missionary-type, I sometimes find myself slipping into self-pity, envying my married friends their collections of soft towels, drawers of matching spoons, and the chance to sleep - every night - in a bed that’s more than four feet across.

One thing that has helped is to confess it.

Then, it helps to take a good look at what it is that I want and ask if it's something I need to just say "no" to, something I can enjoy without needing to possess, or something I can actually get for myself and have without feeling guilty or extravagant.

So: yes, now I do have the matching spoons - and forks and knives to go with them. And I tell you, that gives me considerable satisfaction.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Marti! We've been following your blog for a couple of weeks now and are appreciating the updates. This one was particularly poetic, and I can sure relate :-). We're expecting #9 in a couple of weeks and live in a 1600 sq. ft. house. Thankfully, it's a big lot, and we're seriously looking into adding on, but the World Christian mentality is hard to ditch :-). Maybe we could just get rid of some more - what? Nate suggested we could list the kids in the same ad as the kittens we'll be selling :-).

Courtney O. said...

house envy has always been a downfall of mine :) Brent actually banned me from going to one of my friend's house at one point....I always came out of there forgetting all the blessings I already have!

Anonymous said...

Materialism -- it strikes a chord in everyone.

We thought that we lived modestly. Most of our silverware did not match, but it worked anyway. Small house, and part of that rented out. Modest vehicles.

Then we had the chance to buy a fairly big boat at a very low price. Shortly afterward, we asked ourselves why we had a house AND a boat. We decided to sell the house and move onto the boat.

Out went everything we didn't absolutely need. Gave it away, sold it, took it to the dump, etc. We went from a 1000 sq ft house to a 200 sq ft boat, and space on boats is not shaped like space in houses.

Now, what we have is much more in line with what we need. There are few extravagances (shoes for J, electronic gadgets for D). We do eat well and keep clean and warm (good water heater, shower and diesel furnace).

But J said, "I want to live in a house next winter." This time we have somewhat different ideas of what we want in a house: income producing (2 rental units), view of the water (for peace), small yard (for a garden). Just enough room inside to eat, sleep and sit.

We'll live in the house in the winter and on the boat in the summer. They're only a mile apart.

I used to envy people who live in big houses. Now I pity them. Such a burden.

Marti said...

I have not spent much time at home lately and my suitcase is open on my bedroom floor more often than it is tucked away under the stairs. One nice thing about being on the road - while it exposes me to different material temptations, it also limits my options. I can only wear this outfit, or that one, read this book, or that one. At home in Highlands Ranch it can be more difficult to make decisions!

Note to Paula: get rid of the kittens, yes, but keep the kids: your older ones are awfully good at taking care of the younger ones, aren't they? Looking forward to hearing of a safe delivery for #9.