Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Washington D.C.

Writing today from the nation's capital, where the Aussie mate 'n I are spending most of a week. It dawns on both of us as the sun is going down late this afternoon that we only have two more full days together - he flies back to (or toward) Kazakhstan early Friday morning. While my goal of hanging out here was to spend time with folks who know Tom well and thus get a more complete picture of this man I'm considering spending my life with has not been fully realized, I've sure enjoyed the extra vacation time and time together.

Saturday we arrived and got our rental car, then found our way to Columbia, where my family lived until Meg and I were 7. Went and saw the old house, the school, the pool where I learned to swim the path through the wooded valley behind our house. Saw seven deer grazing by the creek and barely visible in the fading light.

We had a nice dinner out and then went to the Columbia mall and bought a ring. No, not an engagement ring, but kind of a let's-go-steady ring. It's really pretty. And you would be proud; I turned down the fancy sapphire-and-diamond ones the jewelers had and picked out a sterling silver number with a cubic zircona from a mall kiosk. I like it better, really - for something to wear every day!

Sunday we went to the Washington International Church - what a cool place. We're getting together with the pastor tomorrow to chat about church planting. He's been involved in assisting several international churches in cities around the world, and Tom hopes to bring him out to Kaz. Don't know if that will work but should at least be able to glean some insights for getting something started in Tom's city.

Went to the National Cathedral - just happened upon it and right in time for an excellent tour - another serendipitous event. They seem to be following us everywhere. This relationship is like magic. Keep wondering if I'm going to wake up or something. Monday got to spend some time at the Smithsonian and visited the Lincoln Memorial. Three dinners and a lunch with various people so far and several appointments yet to come. Wonder if I'll get any work done this week?

Nice to have a laptop and cell phone though. They certainly make a lot of things possible! Must see if I can get some writing and study done tomorrow.

No more news from the turmoil in the office. Stay tuned.

No comments: