Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Reading words aloud

Working at home has its up sides and its down sides. For example:

Negative: Nobody to talk to.

Positive: I can freely talk to myself.

I don't consider being able to talk to myself on the job a positive aspect of my work environment because I'm a scintillating conversationalist, or just love the sound of my own voice. I'm not, and I don't.

But I am a writer. And not really a very good one, either. I need all the help I can get.

Turns out that nothing brings out the best in a sentence or paragraph like reading the words aloud until they march along in an orderly way, or start to dance and flow.

It's like playing a musical instrument. You don't know you have it right until you practice, and it sounds right. Practicing the same eight bars a few different ways, maybe over and over, will only work if the people near you have a pretty high level of tolerance. Which isn't easy to come by. I don't know about you, but I've never worked in an office that offered me a sound-proof practice room. Heck, we didn't even have doors.

So, reading my sentences aloud didn't seem right when I was a cubicle-dweller. Doesn't seem apropos, now, in a library or coffee shop. But nobody hears what I say from my workspace at the kitchen table.

» Q: What things are great about your work environment? What would you change if you could?

No comments: