Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cheeseburger Paradise

Yesterday in Indiana I drove past a restaurant that caught my eye. I'd never heard of it before. "Cheeseburger Paradise."

Well, actually, it's called "Cheeseburger in Paradise," as research revealed; apparently taking its name from a Jimmy Buffett song.

I like a good cheeseburger now and again. (Provided it is not "cheesed" by those Kraft slices that shame the name of my country).

Well, I did not stop and try out a Cheeseburger in Paradise. But when it comes down to it, I don't think my idea of paradise would be characterized by cheeseburgers.

What, I mused, is my idea of paradise?

My Viking ancestors had a distinct vision of the place. When I was teaching the night before and got to the bit about their history I explained that the word Viking may come from the word for creek, because they were pirates who hung out in the bays and creeks waiting to dart out and attack any vessel that came sailing by. Fjords seem well designed for such exploits; lots of good hiding places.

Vikings believed that most people, when they die, go to a misty, cold place called Niflheim where there wasn't much to do. But if you die in battle, you are rewarded by going to Valhalla where you can party and drink with the gods and warrior maidens called Valkyries.

This sounded so appealing that you had people trying to get their friends to kill them so they could go there. There was one group called the Berserks who fought without any armor (a technique which would tend to increase casualties, yes?)

But I'm not interested in drinking; in fact, I hate being around people who have been drinking. So, although I know some of you wouldn't want to come, my paradise would exclude alcohol. And promiscuity as well, which I find deeply disturbing.

I think I'd expect paradise to include a lot of flowers - the island motif is good - and great music - and fascinating, friendly people.... what else? What would be on your list? And, what would be excluded from your paradise?

4 comments:

Dean Smith said...

This is an easy one. Warm, plentiful fresh fruit, friendly people, cultural and intellectual diversity, good connection to the rest of the world. In short, Costa Rica. We're already looking into a farm visit or a language school for our next visit. According to my research, a couple can live comfortably on about $1200 a month. But no cheeseburgers please. I'll take beans and rice with fried bananas once a day.

Marti said...

Any place that has mangoes is a paradise for me! Sounds good... though I bet if you stay there for long you'll get tired of rice and beans.

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound odd, I imagine, but the only requirement for my paradise would be surprises. It would be completely depleted of monotony and obligations.

Marti said...

You probably won't see this comment, Angie, as this is getting to be an old post now. I should have answered sooner. I LOVE your answer. I had a roommate like that - whose favorite thing to do was whatever she had never done before. Oh, I'm not like that, but it is yet another cool thing - like being a laughter catalyst - that can make life brighter for those around you!