Monday, September 15, 2008

Fraser on Prayer

"Paul may plant and Apollos water, but it is God who gives the increase; and this increase can be brought down from heaven by believing prayer, whether offered in China or in England. We are, as it were, God’s agents - used by Him to do His work, not ours. We do our part, and then can only look to Him, with others, for His blessing. If this is so, then Christians at home can do as much for foreign missions as those actually on the field.

"...Such work does not consist in curio exhibitions, lantern lectures, interesting reports, and so on. Good as they may be, these are only the fringe, not the root of the matter. Solid, lasting missionary work is done on our knees. What I covet more than anything else, is earnest, believing prayer, and I write to ask you to continue in prayer for me and the work here."

- James O. Fraser, from a letter home quoted in The Prayer of Faith (which is posted in its entirety on the web here. My inside sources tell me it's also being reprinted for easy packaging with the new J.O. Fraser film).

2 comments:

paulmerrill said...

That film was one of the best ads for the value of prayer that I have seen in a while!

May God bless it, in the old prayer-of-jabez way. (I'm so glad that fad passed. But it did remind us that God can bless things that honor Him!)

Marti said...

Yup. I'm eager to see it again. Just moseyed over to Jeff the mailroom guy and bought a copy for my very own.