Thursday, July 05, 2007

Hard Times

I though I'd write something light and playful about now, but today is not the day! Once again I feel, well, to be a bit melodramatic about it, kind of on the brink of madness! All week I've been dealing with a deep-seated conflict and it's tearing me apart. Alone and lonely, depressed and afraid, longing both for the life that I no longer have and for another which seems unattainable. The summer seems so long and empty, and contentment and peace so elusive. Yuck!

However, I know this is a common-enough experience, and that pain (while you are in it) seems eternal.
We are given no miraculous signs; no prophets are left, and none of us knows how long this will be. (Psalm 74:9)
And, (once again!) the words of a someone I had the privilege of interviewing and writing about years ago comes to mind. I'm so glad for the ways God has wired these stories into me. Writing or teaching is so good for that.

"Donna" was living in Central Asia when she lost her dearly loved father. She not know how to grieve over it. For a long time there was nobody who could really come alongside her and help her see she wasn't crazy...
“I didn’t know how to do this grief thing. I was really hurting. No one here had ever met my dad except for my husband, who only knew him a little bit, and nobody was at the funeral with me. So it was only a loss for me. But I was here, and my twins had just turned a year old. When I came back after the funeral it seemed like the whole world was invited to my house as guests. ‘Don’t be upset,’ they all told me. ‘Don’t tell me not to be upset!’ I wanted to shout, ‘I am upset!’ It was a really, really hard thing. It helped that I knew the Lord and knew my father was with him. But it still hurt like all get-out!”

Feeling unable to express her grief made things worse. “I couldn’t cry in front of the kids, because it would upset them. With three kids, relatives, and guests staying with us, what could I do? I couldn’t have quiet times, because I knew I would cry! I had ‘ritual’ times, but I knew if I really engaged with God I would cry. You just get distant from God if you live that way.

“I thought I was obsessed or going insane. I loved my dad so much but I didn’t know why it hurt so bad for so long. It was all very confusing for our marriage. I talked to my husband about how I felt, but he didn’t know what was normal either. I would ask him, ‘Am I insane?’ ‘I don’t know,’ he said.

"I thought I was a basket case."
Finally, someone came along who had been through a similar experience, and that really helped. Donna also told me she had to adjust her perspective on God and what he promises:
“God has promised to walk through this stuff with us,” says Donna. “Well, I didn’t want to walk through this, or be walked through it; I wanted to go a different direction! God promises he will be with us in this world. He didn’t promise things wouldn’t hurt.

"When all the people left Jesus, the disciples still said, ‘Where else would we go?’ I knew no matter whatever else happened in the world, I had no other place to go but God.

“My heart didn’t feel it. I couldn’t sing those songs like, ‘Lord you are good.’ It took about a year before I could feel anything in my heart but pain. It was hard. He had kept his promises to me, and they were good. They just were not the promises I thought he had made.”
One of the pastors at my church often shares stories about things he's learned from his wife. A few weeks ago he share something she said way back when they were in college. Dan sat up and took notice when Kerri, coming upon him when he was struggling, said: "When I'm going through a hard time, I like to read the book of 1 Peter."

What an excellent suggestion. I think I'll dive in and look at it. Today, this verse, 1 Peter 5:7, stands out:
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Actually, the whole passage is rich; here's 1 Peter 5:6-11...

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Amen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Marti said...

Ah - that's Desiderata! Thanks.

TomWebb said...

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and partition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus"

Believe it, pray it and live it. He know you Miss Marti, where you are at right now, He feels with you, He loves you, He is your closest friend, He has your best in mind.

Marti said...

Thank you Tom! I am so glad this is true. bless you...