Thursday, November 16, 2006

Money

I've been putting a fair amount of energy into raising funds for a member of our staff who is not really able to do so because her health is so poor - my roommate, Deb. Meanwhile my own support, having topped 100% every year for the last 10 years, is falling short. Insurance is up 40%. Giving is not really that far down, and end-of-the-year donations may make up the difference, but maybe it won't. I had a hunch that this might be the year I would fall short. But I am not sure how to interpret it.

It's been a huge privilege to live out 2 Cor. 9 most of the time:
"You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God." 2 Corinthians 9:11
I am thinking 2 Chronicles 32 is more what's happening now, like what God did with Hezekiah:
"But when envoys were sent by the rulers of Babylon to ask him about the miraculous sign that had occurred in the land, God left him to test him and to know everything that was in his heart." 2 Chronicles 32:31
I think I've been a bit proud of always being at full support and able to give to others. Ever since my paychecks have been low I've been aware how materialistic I am, how much I think I "need" new clothes, shoes, and stuff for the house. Not to mention a new computer... I probably need to stop looking at all those glossy, lowest-price-of-the-season ads in the paper! I'm also feeling grumpy too about not having more money for Christmas, or for my own end-of-the-year giving. Ah, see what is in my heart! Maybe this holiday season will be a time for purifying.

Come to think of it, my favorite Thanksgiving was the one when I stayed in my dorm at college and everything was closed down. I had a place to go for dinner that Thursday but was on my own the rest of the long weekend. Everyone was gone. When I went to the ATM to take out cash for groceries, the machine took my card and wouldn't give it back. Since the state of Oregon had pretty tight policies on cashing out-of-state checks, all I had to live on until the next Monday morning was what was in my dorm room and in my wallet - $5. Figuring out how I was going to eat and entertain myself those three days and nights was a challenge, but an enjoyable one. I had a good book, and I went for a number of long walks. But I don't think I've ever been that careful filling my basket at the grocery store! $5 can go farther than you think. Or, at least it could back then!

No comments: