Friday, July 06, 2012

Ocean Nearby

Have I mentioned how nice it is to live less than a thousand miles from the beach? C. and I are able to make relatively impromptu visits to the Pacific. I rode along on a recent run he made to drop off a patient in Bandon, to the south. Two weeks ago we drove from Florence (straight west from us) up the coast through Cape Perpetua to Newport. A beautiful day. 

I see God's fingerprints all over this coastline, in spite some of the names crediting other spiritual powers... we have a Devil's Churn, a Devil's Punchbowl, and even a Devil's Elbow! 

Some of these beaches are sandy and sometimes sunny, but they are seldom warm. Better bring a jacket and a good pair of walking shoes.

Lingering by some rocky tide pools, Chris couldn't resist picking up a purple sea urchin and placing him (?) in my hands for a photo op. I forgot how active the little creatures can be; the spines tickled my palms as he squirmed. When I tossed him back in a deeper section of the large tidepool, Chris chided me with a laugh for throwing him so far. How long must it have taken him to get himself a perfect spot? Now he'd have to start all over! 


No comments: