On the other hand, I've felt the pressure that comes from being late, trying not to be late, worrying about being late, and trying to compensate for or justify being late. Stressful, eh? I'm all for reducing stress.
What are some of the reasons we run late?
- We don't respect or value the other person's time or the event
- We consider the beginning of the event or get-together to be "miss-able"
- We are trying to avoid the awkwardness of being too early or having to stay too long
Lack of margin:
- We fail to accurately estimate how much time it would take to get someplace
- We plan to be early, but then try to get too many other things done with our extra time
- We try to do too much, in general
Being in the moment:
- We simply lose track of time
- We are helping or in conversation with someone else
We are unavoidably delayed
- Traffic jams, accidents, etc.
Which of these are "good" reasons, in your mind, to be late yourself or for someone else to be late for a meeting or event you're part of? Which ones are worth the stress and pressure of lateness?