Sunday, September 20, 2009

Have a Magical Day



We've made it through three days at Disneyland. I know, that's a lot. And there are still two more days. We've mostly stuck together, but finding stuff that both kids are willing to do is a challenge. "I don't like Disneyland," says the 6.5-year-old with alarming frequency. She wants to go back to the hotel, though I'm not sure that she'd find that very fun either if everybody didn't come. The two kiddos get along pretty well most of the time, though, which is a huge help.

I'm impressed by how well my friends E. and S. - who have now been divorced for five years - are managing the co-parenting task on this trip. E. has sole custody and S. sees the kids about once a year. Even so, he seems to "get" them pretty well and is kind, fun, and affectionate. Also patient with and supportive of E.

I notice my own assumptions about the best way to do things - in terms of rest, nutrition, finances, etc. are pretty different from theirs, but I'm trying to just go with the flow.

Disneyland is a pretty special place. Most of the rides I could take or leave, but I love the courtesy and attention to detail from the staff - er, cast. Fireworks, shows, etc. are fun. I think I could get a coffee, find a bench on Main Street, and just listen to the music and watch people forever.

2 comments:

paulmerrill said...

Marti, you're a trooper to spend that long at Disneyland. I could barely deal with one day at the park.

I'm glad you can encourage and support your friends there.

Marti said...

I could have used a day at the beach or something to break it all up. A trip to Tom Sawyer's island was not quite the same. (Certainly cleaner - though I don't see why skulls and skeletons everywhere are so prevalent. I'm not a fan of that.

Am also pretty sure I have a cold now, all ready to share with my 40,000 closest friends in line for the most popular attractions.

It's a small world after all.

We did go to a stage show a few days ago - a 45-minute version of Aladdin. It was quite good. And today we're hoping to make it to the Jedi Training Academy.