Friday, June 12, 2009

Pictures from my Expeditions: Italy (though I've never been there)



I always wanted a leather jacket.

But it seems, in my mind, like one of those sort-of special luxuries that is supposed to be a gift from your dad, boyfriend, or husband. So I never bought one for myself.

But my friend K. had no such qualms.

K. was part of the country-club set from childhood, and became a high-powered DC attorney; she used to make trips to Europe all the time. So it was no big deal to buy a high-quality leather jacket when she was in Florence one time. (That's Florence, Italy, not Florence, Oregon!)

When God redirected K's life toward ministry, she accepted a lower salary and standard of living; she was no longer buying leather jackets.

It was a bit hard for her at times. Not being able to order whatever she wanted at Starbucks as often as she wanted - having to budget - was one annoyance.

But she still lived fairly well. And she brought with her into that life the can-do attitude her previous life had given her. It's served her well.

However, she finally reached the point where she couldn't take the Italian leather jacket with her.

"My people group would not approve," she announced.

K was packing up to move to India. (She will be working with high-caste Hindus - you know, holy cow and all that.)

That's how I came to have K's leather jacket.

2 comments:

Megan Noel said...

see a guy would never think like this! if a man wanted a leather jacket - or anything else - he would go buy it. he would not think he needed a woman to buy it (that is one reason so many men are so hard to shop for - if they want something to get it.) but really, women should be more like men. we should not wait around for them. i can't tell you how liberating it is to buy your own: computer, camera, condo, etc, without help from or permission from or even (unless you want it) advice from a man!

Marti said...

"Automatic" indulgence of one's one's sensual and material desires is not a characteristic I admire in anybody! I'm stickin' with my budget.