Monday, June 29, 2009

Moravian Daily Texts

Ever need a kick in the pants to get you thinkin', "Hey, what does the Word of God have to say about this thing I'm dealing with?" Here's something that's helped point me in that direction, even when I get out the habit of cracking open the book itself.

I've long been subscribed to a (human generated) verse of the day service and either read it on email or through my feed aggregator. Lately I've also had the Moravian Church's Daily Texts coming to my inbox.

Not to be all magical about it or anything, but sometimes these things just hit the spot.

Here's Sunday's edition from the Moravians. (I added the links.) It arrived when I was trying to work through a situation that raised all my insecurities.

What does God's Word say? It says he's got his eye on me. I don't need to look out for myself; I'm loved, secure, and free to reach out to other people.
Fourth Sunday after Pentecost
Watchword for the Week

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end.
Lamentations 3:22

Lamentations 3:23-33; Psalm 30
2 Corinthians 8:7-15; Mark 5:21-43

When I think of your ordinances from of old, I take comfort, O Lord.
Psalm 119:52

Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one.
Revelation 1:17-18

Gracious God, we thank you for the privilege and opportunity to gather in
worship with all your people. As we draw near to you, seeking your presence, we
pray that you will draw near to us, receiving our offering of faithful service
to your church. Amen.
By the way, I just added a "search this blog" function to my blog. So, if you're wondering what I said about the Moravian church before, type it into the handy-dandy search box and find out!

No comments: