Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Morning Person, or Night Person?

Is it so strange that I am both, at least when it comes to work?

I do my best work before 10 am or after 4 pm. Sadly, office hours are 8:30 to 5:00.

Most meetings are held first thing in the morning, and while I enjoy meetings (provided they have some degree of purpose, structure, and leadership) one result is that I may not get to my desk until I'm starting to fade. (Would it be better to schedule all meetings in the afternoon?)

I compensate for giving my worst hours to the work that I love by also reaching for the laptop when I get up in the mornings. When I don't have evening plans, I'll work at least an extra hour or two after I get my second wind.

This whole situation frustrates me, because, you see, I work for Jesus. I want to give him the first fruit of my labors: The best, not the worst, that I have to give.

But wait. Even if I am a misssssionary, does that mean that the sum of my service is what I do for and in the name of the ministry I work for?

Probably not.

Well, today is work-at-home Wednesday. And today, I operate according to more natural (to me) patterns. I've spent the last hour and half on email, writing, and so on. Now - when usually I'd be on my way to the office - it's time to actually get out of bed! After breakfast and coffee, there's a project I've been "working" on for weeks which I think I can finish before 10:30. Then I'll do some reading, and - I think - finish another such project as well before the sun goes down, as well as some busywork in-between.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so conscientious of you to consider these things so carefully. You are a good steward of your time.