Friday, October 03, 2008

Road Trip Report

Entering Glenwood Canyon, I was momentarily startled to realize the river was flowing West, not East or South - but we'd crossed the continental divide a while back.

S. and I were prepared to be nonplussed by the "fall colors," as around here this consists primarily of aspen trees going from green, to gold. What's the big deal about that? Well, it was beautiful anyway, even to a couple of snobs who grew up on the coasts. In some places (as in this photo) there were other kinds of foliage as well, hence more color.

I spoke Sunday night at a church in Glenwood Springs (Perspectives Lesson 6 - missions history). We spent the night with friends, enjoyed a leisurely morning, and then drove back across the passes and into the mountains further North - the Fraser Valley - where I spoke at another church on Monday night.

That part of the state seems to be the worst hit by the pine beetle infestation, now a major concern in Colorado. Acres of forest land, though still glowing with swaths of those golden aspens, were also covered with dead, brown pines. Many have been taken out, but it could be a dangerous year for lightening strikes and forest fires.

Next up, a trip south to Pueblo, where I teach the same material on October 12.
.

2 comments:

Megan Noel said...

gosh, i think it is beautiful! it's so golden green. i thought it was pretty in NM too. but i never met an autumn color i did not like.

is that starbucks new signature hot cocoa? it's good but a bit too sweet. lots better than their old cocoa, though.

Marti said...

Yes, it was beautiful. We don't have the coloring some places do, but I'd agree - all autumn colors are good!

* * *
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.

- George Eliot

* * *
S. is drinking tea; I've got an Americano. They were giving away free samples of the salted caramel hot cocoa, and it wasn't bad. I didn't realize they had changed their old hot chocolate for a "signature" version, though. Will have to give it a try.

I'm still rather fond - on special occasions - of the drink I discovered a month or two ago, "A shot in the dark." Which, besides its intriguing name, is nicely stimulating: good, fresh coffee with an extra shot of espresso.

In the tea dept, I recently found a place in town that carries the Barry's Tea from Ireland that I'm so fond of. The only people I've found who make a "good" decaf black.

Hope you feel better this week, Meg; give me a call sometime on my home phone or at the office.

I need to fill up my pre-paid phone card so I don't feel like it costs an arm and leg to call family - as it does with standard long-distance plan or my cell phone plan which comes with 100 minutes a month.