Sunday, October 05, 2008

Monet, Money, and the Snobbery Within

Caption: Monet, "Bathers at La Grenouillère," 1869

I saw this painting at the National Gallery in London... and liked it so much I bought a postcard of it that is among the images on the wall of my bedroom.

Still, strangely enough, I felt a dash of scorn when I saw a print hanging in a hotel room in which I stayed recently. "I've seen the real thing!" I thought. Yeah, and I didn't spring for the poster - I got a postcard!

Who's to say the person who picked out the hotel "art" had not been to London, as well? Or, does it matter? Isn't art for everybody?

It's likely I would never have been most of the places I have been if I had a different kind of job. It's because the ministry account (generously endowed by my supporters) pays for plane tickets that I make it to Europe, Asia, Africa. So why do I feel superior to those who have seen less of the world? There's no room for boasting, is there?

I've also found a good bit of scorn and snobbery in my heart lately toward those who live beyond their means. So much of the news coverage about this credit crisis - and especially the soundbites coming from our political candidates - makes it sound like "ordinary Americans" have a "right" to spend money they do not have, and that it's a real hardship to have this taken away. (A friend wrote about this here.)

I turn up my nose: with no mortgage, school debt, or car payments - with good health (and, in spite of my griping about its expense and inadequacy, health insurance as well) : no, this does not affect me, at least not directly. I've never had much trouble living within my means.

The fact that my IRAs are worth less and less all the time, even though I keep putting money in them, may in fact be connected to the state of the economy... but as my practical mother points out, buying shares when things are going down - assuming they later go up - means you get more for your money. I find this some consolation!

I am as susceptible to foolishness as anybody, so why should I look down on those who find themselves overextended, financially?

How easy it is to find our priorities and perspective askew. Today I'm meditating on Jesus' sermon on the mount. He says...

Matthew 6:24-34 (New International Version)

24"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

Do Not Worry
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

5 comments:

paulmerrill said...

Lots of what you wrote in there resonates with me, Marti.

I have that snobbery within too. I'm trying to daily submit that to the Holy Spirit for it to be burned off.

Anonymous said...

That was good! Snobbery takes up lots of room in my soul. Good blog!

Megan Noel said...

uh.. having a mortgage is not what most people consider "living outside of your means."

Marti said...

Well, like I say, I'm not trying to justify the way I look down on others, I'm recognizing it as a problem too.

As for mortgages: It may be fine to have a mortgage. But it's only reasonable that if you fail to pay the mortgage, you probably won't be able to keep the house.

Megan Noel said...

if you fail to pay your rent you also lose your place to live. if you keep paying rent .. well, you get a place to live but you don't get anything else. if you keep paying your mortgage you eventually get a place to live that you don't have to pay for. if i lost my job right now i could probably sell my condo --even with the economy, maybe especially with the economy since it is small and one of the more affordable options in seattle -- for at least 60-80k more than i bought it for.