Saturday, October 25, 2008

City on a Hill

When I lecture on The Expansion of the World Christian Movement (as I did half a dozen times this fall) I usually draw a couple of sly parallels between the Roman Empire - particularly at the time of its "fall" - and today's America.

Christians in Rome considered the resources, influence, and power with which their empire had been endowed sure signs that God was with them and had in fact raised them up and blessed them to be a light to the nations. As time went on they found this dream turned to ashes, and themselves citizens in a state that no longer represented (and exported) their values, but something else entirely.

The church and state (intertwined at this point) were plagued by both external pressures and corruption within. Roman Christians were horrified. As the greatness of their empire was threatened, they wondered if it was all over for Christendom.

Well, it wasn't, of course. Yes, there was a lot of brutality, a lot of suffering. But the fifth century also saw the biggest expansion of Christianity that would come for the next thousand years, and this time without the resources that had seemed so integral to its expansion to date. One of the points I try to illustrate throughout my talk is that neither suffering nor prosperity has a corner on the market for producing the best conditions for Christianity to flourish. God seems to use either.

"Has anyone written a book comparing America and Rome?" someone asked, as I kept alluding to similarities.

I did not know the answer - I didn't get this from one source I could point to and say, that's it. Any of you know someone who has written about this? I think a lot of it was from my "History of Christianity" professor in college. But as I looked through my background files I did find a printout of this article, which covers some of that territory. Here's a taste...
Theology for an Age of Terror: Augustine's words after the 'barbarian' destruction of Rome have a remarkably contemporary ring.

4 comments:

Megan Noel said...

well, even if timothy george wrote something, you could make this your next book if you wanted to -- pretty heavy stuff, though.

Marti said...

Yeah. Any time I pick up a book that says "The epic tale of..." on the back cover, I almost always put it back. I prefer the smaller story.

Anonymous said...

I think you need to follow the whole history of the fall of Rome and the Rise of the West to set the scene for what is happening today. I recommend William McNeill -- The Rise of The West. Then for a view of the USA today, try Noam Chomsky -- Hegemony or Survival. Neither of these is centered on Christianity, but they explain the settings. For myself, I think is rather self-righteous to consider the USA as having any ownership of or responsibility for Christianity. Such an attitude is what got us into a lot of the trouble we're in with respect to the rest of the world at the present time.

Marti said...

Whoa, that does sound pretty epic. Well, you're right, identifying Christianity with the US - or with the Roman Empire - is a mistake. Whether it's people on the inside doing such a thing and taking themselves too seriously, or those on the outside doing so and missing out on something that is meant to transcend culture.