Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Acedia and Me Too

Caption: I haven't read this book; have you?

I've been waiting in mild anticipation for the copy of Kathleen Norris' new book - on which I'd placed a hold through my local library - to come in. Well, it finally did, but I never made it to the library to pick it up - what, all of half a mile from my house - so I lost my place in line and won't get the book. Ironically, the subject of her book is apathy.

Missed the debate last night. In fact, have not seen any of them, at least, not more than bits and pieces. I did watch the conventions earlier this year. Well, the convention of my party of choice anyway. (I meant to follow the other one as well, but with two conventions right after the Olympics, that was just too much TV for me...)

Two of my friends - avid supporters of one party's candidates - are reporting problems with their physical health due to their political zeal. Have to admit, even though it's an interesting year and I like talking about politics and trends and ideas (maybe especially with my friends who are really into it), I'm having a hard time taking this seriously and really caring about what happens or does not happen in Washington or even America. I'm just not that personally invested.

One significant benefit: It's not difficult for me to hold civil conversations about these things! I don't feel I really have anything to lose by listening, discussing, considering the various angles. And if I'm not especially interested in politics, I'm certainly interested in good conversations, and in the essential "interestingness" - and the image of God - in each person I'm talking to.

Sure, I'll vote, and I know how I'll vote. Sure, I agree that who is the next president is something that matters. But, sorry, politics is not my calling. There are just so many other domains of society, and so many ways to change the world. I feel a bit guilty but I can't get passionate about this stuff.

I don't think I'm apathetic across the board - there are lots of things I care fiercely about or value highly or which can bring me to tears, even if the political process is not one of them. So that makes me ask, what am I doing with those passions? Am I being faithful to my calling, am I communicating graciously and compassionately, am I enlisting others while still holding even these things with open hands and maintaining perspective?

No comments: