Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, Seven Years Later

I remember the first anniversary of 9/11 well. I was in one of the ancient silk road cities of Central Asia. I was doing research for Through Her Eyes, interviewing women who had come there to learn from, love, and serve the people of that city and offer them the chance to come into relationship with Jesus.

Between interviews - and I think I had four of them that day - I spent several hours seeing the sights, mostly poking around the well-restored ancient buildings.

I was also shopping for silk scarves and pottery as gifts for the friends and supporters I was expecting to see on my return to the States a month or two later. It was a quiet morning, so I fell easily into conversation with the men and women who ran small shops selling souvenirs in the stalls that once served as rooms for sleeping and studying for those who came there to study Islam in the city's famous "madrassas."

Though that country has faced crises far worse than what happened to America on 9/11 - I know many Americans have a hard time believing that is possible! - the hearts of the Muslim men and women I talked to that day softened towards me as they learned I was an American.

"We are so sorry about what happened in your country! Was anyone you know killed?" they asked with concern. "No, we were all OK," I said.

"America seems such a dangerous country to live in, so many people with guns, so much violence in your cities!" said one. They were glad I was in their country where they could look out for me.

* * *

Among the ministries called to reach out to Muslims in love, one of those I have the most confidence in is called Crescent Project. Its founder, Fouad Masri, is such a gracious man, never forgetting that the best way to communicate love to people is to listen to and try to understand them. In a recent newsletter he wrote:
"September 11, 2001, is 7 years behind us, yet the spirit of fear lives on in America. Many Christians are still frozen by fear and incapacitated by intimidation.

"Last week I stood in front of a gathering of Christian leaders who were concerned about militant Islam. Even before 9/11, these delegates had been tuned in to Islam's growing influence in the West; they have great enthusiasm about protecting America's historical values.

"But as one delegate put it: When it comes to Muslims, we have a lot of enthusiasm, but little action.

"Ideas and intentions abound, yet how will God break through to the Muslim world inside our borders? What I shared with these delegates, I'll share with you: It begins when one Christian takes the initiative to cross the street and share the Hope of Jesus with one Muslim.

"What can you do in light of September 11th? How can you move past enthusiasm to action?

- Confess any fear. God has not given us the spirit of intimidation. Pray for Christ to plant deeply within you a spirit of power, love and a sound mind when you think of and interact with Muslims (2 Tim. 1:7).

- Inform others. With much of the church crippled in fear, we need change agents like you to share a different message."

1 comment:

paulmerrill said...

It's great that Fouad is trying to make a difference in that arena.

May God bless his efforts - and those of others like him.