Sunday, April 29, 2007

Tribute to Dandelions

In spite of what the world says - and how many things does the world get right? - I find myself again admiring the humble dandelion.

A profusion of them are taking over my front lawn. Was it last year or the year before I dug out as many as I could, until my hands blistered at the task? Whatever opposition I offered then, there are no fewer of them now.

These plants have a remarkable resiliance, a great support system, an effective strategy to reproduce themselves, and a willingness and ability to pioneer where other plants are not willing or able to venture - what's more, they seem to flourish when they get there. On top of all this, they beautifully reflect the image of their source, the sun, toward which they are reaching.

Anything we can learn from their example?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel the same way. i don't know if you noticed i have drawn some dandelions lately. janusz said they are one of his favorite flowers. they're perky, and they've adapted to coexist with humans. rather like oppossums.

Dave Moody said...

Ok- here's a question for ya.

Is an oppossum the same as a possum? and if so, why don't we pronounce the initial vowel/syllable? Is it like flammable and imflammable, meaning the same thing?

btw- can't stand dandelions. Not bc they aren't pretty, they are- but b/c they grow faster than the grass, and once the yellow flowers die and go to seed, my nicely, evenly cut lawn, edged, weed eated, etc... has a boatload of dandelion stalks, easily three inches taller than the grass. Its uneven, and it bothers my sense of proportion.

Sort of like congregations. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned.

good post Marti.
dm

Marti said...

Didn't know you were a fan, too, Meg! Do you remember the time I wanted to bring one of my teachers a bouquet of lovely yellow tansy and scotch broom? The 'weed' label seems so harsh in some cases...

Hmm, are inflamable oppossums the same as flamable possums?

Dave, in spite of my preference for the metaphorical truth over the concrete one, I share your frustration: especially at night, as soon as two or three days after I've mown, there are those stalks waving above what would otherwise be a decent-looking lawn. Alas.

Dave Moody said...

yes, much like superfluous syllables. ;-)

keep it up Marti... Sunday, really is a comin'

grace & peace,
dm

Anonymous said...

i do in fact recall your wanting to bring your teacher SCOTCH BROOM. maybe you miss it but it's still a weed out here! (okay ask me when it is not allergy season.) an opposum is the common name for member of the order Didelphimorphia. 'Possum is a Colloquialism for Opossum.

Anonymous said...

Did you now that your Great Uncle Kieth was crowned Dandelion King of Monticello, Illinois when he wad 4 years old?

paulmerrill said...

There aren't any here. But living in a veritable Garden of Eden (when it's rainy season) means all the lawns always look like they need a good mow.

Marti said...

Dad - I'd forgotten Keith was Dandelion King! Destined for greatness from an early age.

Paul - How do Kenyans tame their Eden? Or do they? Do they mow?