Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Time to Move

This weekend I joined my coworkers in their migration from our building's West Wing to the East Wing - a re-grouping which had begun while I was abroad. Had to give up my window, a loss I feel greatly! I did gain a nice desk lamp, however, and it is pleasant to have a clean, uncluttered desk.

I did not expect the move to be emotional, but with Caleb Project now no more, it did feel like the end of an era! I took down all the stuff on my walls associated with old coworkers and projects - then put a lot of it back up in the new cube. Where did those tears in my eyes come from, tears over old check request forms - business cards - planning documents? I must be a bit mopey!

But if moving to the other side of the office is a bit jarring, the move to Pioneers should be a good one. There are still some wrinkles to iron out, of course. Last week I got a funny letter from HQ informing me of the largest raise I've ever had in my life. They claimed my compensation rate would be nearly $60,000 a year now. It was a mistake of course and has been rectified, but it was kind of fun while it lasted. "You're worth every penny!" my roommate Deb insisted.

It's going to take a while to figure out all the policies and expectations but things are really going quite smoothly. We're in good hands with Pioneers, even if I had to decline that raise. I don't think I'll tell you how big my my actual paychecks are, but trust me, they are more in line with what you would expect for a missionary with no spouse or kids. (People who do their own fundraising do not necessarily like to be paid more; we used to get mandatory cost of living increases and tended to grumble about them.)

The devotional I've been reading - published for Spring Harvest by 'Grow with the Bible' (www.grow-with-the-bible.org.uk) had me in Exodus 3:7-12 one day this week. The passage - OK, the whole book - deals with a much bigger move, and one that took a lot more time to accomplish. Think about it. Click on my post title to read these verses from Bible Gateway.

Ian Coffey describes the scene like this:
God's plan to call out a people for himself looked to have gone sadly off track. His promises to Abram seemed to have been forgotten, and Israel - the nation God chose to bring his blessing to the whole world - was enslaved and politically paralyzed.

...I imagine today's reading in two parts. Moses listened intently to the voice from the burning bush - and no doubt his spirit lifted as he heard the encouraging message: His people were not forgotten after all; the God of his fathers was about to act. Then came the shock - God was calling Moses to do the job. The good news is that God's going to act - the bad news is he's chosen you for the star role!

We identify with Moses' reluctance but we see his list of excuses grow longer until the Lord's anger is roused... For various reasons Moses' life had left him confused, but the burning bush was God's grace call to him to trust, follow, and serve.

Perhaps you identify with Moses' disappointment? Then let Jesus' call of grace reach you today and turn your reluctance into obedience. He has a part for you to play. Don't miss it.

Lord Jesus Christ, help me to find my place among the people of God and to offer myself wholeheartedly to you in love and service. Amen.
By the way, for a good blog entry on another Biblical topic, see Barb Moody's latest, here: http://celticpole.blogspot.com/2007/04/planks-vs-specks.html.

3 comments:

Dave Moody said...

Marti,
Wow... it is hard for me to imagine. Thanks for bloggin on it.

Something else. Thought of you yesterday when I ran across this fascinating book entitled, "The secret lives of women and men"- go to www.postsecrets.com and it'll explain. Warning, some peoples secrets should stay just that... but I couldn't help but think of your Buechner quote.

The best line in the book- 'there are two types of secrets, those we keep from others, and those we keep from ourselves.'

2nd best line- 'men keep secrets, but women keep the best secrets.'

keep up the blogging, jogging and Irish clogging,
dm

Marti said...

Hmm; I'll have to take a look for that book. Yes, some secrets should stay secrets, but I think you understand my basic preference for transparency!

I think the worst thing about this office transition thing is facing up to the fact that all my friends are gone. Well, not all, but almost all, and the sense of comradarie is just not there. Maybe time and hard work can make us buds but I have a hard time seeing it.

The week after next we go visit Pioneers HQ, which is dominated by scads of people in their 30's - lots of singles, young families, all people who have a vision for the nations, raise support and work together in creative ways so that the gospel can go out among those with the least opportunity to hear. Sounds familiar, sounds like the ol' days. I may be tempted to stay.

Marti said...

Let me add - work is good: I like work. Especially strategic work. I always want to good work, whatever my vocation. But comraderie is what I live for.