Saturday, April 21, 2007

Coffee, Tea, and Concentration

"Writing is hard work," says theologian N.T. Wright. "You have to have something burning inside you that you want to say..." Even then, he confessed, for him it required a certain amount of assistance from coffee and other caffeinated substances.

"That's really the amazing thing about the apostle Paul, isn't it? That he accomplished as much as he did without coffee? Simply extraordinary!"

On the way home from a Starbucks run with a coworker a while back I mentioned that one thing I wanted to investigate in Kazakhstan was the availability of (quality, non-instant) coffee. He was surprised at the question, assuming that Kazakhs, like (many) Turks and Arabs, would be coffee people. Nope: I'm pretty sure tea is the thing.

Wondering about other parts of the Muslim world, we ran into Sean, who spent several years in Southeast Asia. We knew he could round out our little survey. "Sean, in Indonesia: coffee or tea?"

His answer surprised me. "Men drink coffee and women drink tea." I'd never heard of such a thing. When pressed he explained that tea was the formal drink, and what people would serve when they offered hospitality in their homes; coffee was a drink of the street, something a couple of guys would stop for when they were out and about.

The group I took to Central Asia this last summer certainly drank tea when interviewing local folks. But one of the girls confessed a secret wish to drink tea with a British person. She and I interviewed several Britons while we were there. One time the British guy offered us tea and didn't have any, himself, so it did not count. Another time we were given tea with milk and jam tarts, and it was all perfect, but instead of pouring a cup for himself he had - oh no, coffee! Her hopes were dashed.

I recently heard that Australia has a proliferation of little Italian espresso places, everywhere.

Me, I like it all.

On a more serious note... Even with the obligatory coffee or tea at hand I find thinking and writing are both hard work. I'm hoping to do some serious reflection in the weeks to come, dealing with these awkward questions recently re-opened.

Even now, I'm at a women's retreat up in Estes Park, and it's free time. I stayed back to write and pray instead of going into town to poke in little shops, or going for a walk. It's been a bit draining already, the imposition of having to tell so many people here what is going on in my life when they ask. Part of me wants my privacy back, wants to just say 'I'm fine' and keep people at arm's length.

But I need people... and I need help exploring these big questions. Ones like: Who am I? What do I bring to my work, and to my relationships? What do I need to be effective - in work, or in relationships? I thought I knew but am somewhat confused again, and don't seem to know what my expectations are until they are frustrated. I had a pretty angry couple days at work this week. Particularly the day we had a mandatory, disorganized, last-minute meeting that went on for hours. I hate poorly led meeting! I couldn't pardon that. Even though I got something out of it, in the end. But not before I spoke up, let others see my frustration, acted like a jerk. I'd like to avoid those kind of scenes if they aren't necessary!

While resilience and flexibility are key traits I see growing in myself and want to keep cultivating, I need to figure out who I am. I want to know myself better so I can make some wise decisions in the months to come. Feel like I stand at a crossroads. I need to know God and know myself, better, before I can know which way to go. Even then, it may involve stepping out in uncertainty.

I'm also actually going to give Phyllis a call. Yes, some of you know, that's Phyllis the counselor in the building down the street. She already knows as much as anyone about what happened at Caleb Project and how different people feel about it, so she's offered three free sessions to anyone who wants some help working through these things. Free, at least at first, that appeals to me. So does talking to someone who has some of the background down, at least about the work situation.

Even though different people mention this offer to me every day or two, though, I have resisted. Counseling is hard work. I've done it before. And for it to be really worthwhile you can't just show up, you have to work at it: to be willing to seek, hear, and believe painful truths and do the hard work of delving into ambiguous topics, even between sessions! Do I want to hear the truth? Do I want to work? It all sounds like it will take so much energy! Will it be worthwhile, for me, at this time? I am not entirely sure.

Man, though, I wish Jesus would just take care of the emotional maintenance without me. My reluctance reminds me of the old joke: "Farmer, when you going to fix that leakin' roof?" "Aw, when it rains, it's too wet, and when it's dry, it's just as good as any man's house!"

Thanks for your prayers.

9 comments:

TomWebb said...

I think this blog will strike a cord and draw thoughts out of all who read it. Processing the struggles you are going through now is very common with most people most of the time. Even when things are going the best in all areas of our lives, which for most people is hardly ever, we are not satisfied. We always look for more clarity in our lives; we want more control, clearer direction. How many times do we hear the Prayer cry out "Please show me the way Lord, guide me, direct me". Isn't that our most common prayer? You express so well this prayer we all have. Just in your openness, ‘walking in the Light’, making yourself vulnerable; you have victory. I think you are brave and are expressing what we all want to express. We all want Him to say: "This is your purpose in life. Here is your path, walk ye in it". But before He shows us that path, He enjoys watching us go on a search, admitting we are lost and agreeing with Him that only He knows the best way and He has the power to show us.
Keep searching, ask for understanding; understanding of who you are before Him, how has He made you? What are your strengths? What are the best uses of your strengths? What is your main purpose in His world? And then you will make wise life decisions. And please keep blogging along through your pilgrimage. I am sure we will all ‘feel’ close with you, each of us in our own way as we walk this road together.
Try and keep from anger and frustration when you don't get answers. Remember that He is getting Glory in your searching. The process of knowing Him is important not just the part of making Him known. God is glorified, because He sees that: though you ask continually and may not see quick fix answers, still you believe. He wants to see your faith strengthened and so you wait on Him. Hang on Marti, keep searching, live the process, ask for deep joy in the process. Cling to the old rugged cross....

Barb said...

OH man, marti, can I relate to you on all this. Just this morning an issue I've put on my back burner for years slapped me in the face. But the funny, odd thing, I want to deal with it. I've had it. I know it's weakened me and it's exhausted me. My issue - not asking for help. I think that's a reason I HATED being on support. I don't know if it's pride/fear or what. All I know is God has ripened me to finally deal with this issue.. Letting people in whether to pray for you or help serve a big banquet - that's a struggle. You said,
I need to know God and know myself, better, before I can know which way to go.
God can move you and show himself to you and yourself to yourself at the same time. Yeah, you may need a season of that reflection/searching but don't let it idle you into complacency.
I know what you mean: God deal with my issues but let me be somewhere else when you do it. Ridiculous, isn't it? But it shows you (and me) how much He loves us and wants us to be better, better in love with him and ourselves.
I'll be praying for you as we both go through throwing off ourselves and learning to love to lean on others.

Marti said...

One of my problems is that I think I'm half-Vulcan, like Mr. Spock... if you know what I mean: I find emotionalism, at least my own, kind of offensive. In poor taste, perhaps! I've gotten over this attitude bit by bit in the last decade or two but it still returns to plague me from time to time.

So, some of my reflection time involves making lists, analyzing things. 'What I think I need to be happy, what feeds my spirit' was one of the more helpful lists my Vulcan and human sides made together, yesterday. Want to see it?

1. Team/partnership: Having at least one person right in there with me who sees the blow by blow, can discuss setbacks, fears, or problems, knowing what I’m doing and what I’m neglecting, and how it feels to me. A co-worker, companion, partner, or witness. I don’t like having nobody know what I’m doing or what’s involved. I want to talk with one who understands.

2. Friendship: Someone else understanding and enjoying me as a person, for who I am and not what I do. Someone who really likes me, gets me, and shows it: Also someone who is willing to speak into my life, seeing what is wrong and being able to call me on it, call me to what is better.

3. Taking risks and learning: Being in a bit over my head, being pushed. Stepping into ambiguous or dangerous situations, trying new things, gaining skills and experiences I might be able to use later, doing what others can’t or won’t, being a leader, being responsible for other people, knowing I’m being watched and that I’m doing something challenging and worth the effort.

4. Having confidence in God’s leading: Seeing, usually along with others and through prayer and circumstances, reasons to believe God is at work and that we can have hope we’re going the right direction, even if the results are not as hoped or there is opposition. When I think something doesn’t make sense but see God’s hand I’m OK; I may look though, for ways to ‘explain’ the parts that don’t make sense. If it does make sense but God’s not in it I can go ahead but will be uncomfortable. If it doesn’t make sense and I don’t see God’s leading, I will ask for another’s perspective but tend to get frustrated.

5. Having structures to succeed: Being given appropriate direction, deadlines, feedback, encouragement, and recognition – by somebody. It doesn’t matter who or how, but I feel much better with a bit of structure and support, explanation, feedback. Basically I want someone to submit to, someone to check up on me.

Back in Denver now. The women's retreat was pretty good, although I can't point to one thing and say aha, that's what I want to hold onto, now I'm going to be OK and full of joy or whatever. But I think it helped me forward rather than setting me back! I need to go through my notes. Will try to share some of what rises to the surface.

paulmerrill said...

Thanks for your vulnerability on your blog, Marti. It's refreshing. It allows me to pray for you!

Tea is the big drink here in Kenya, for locals. You know that tea and coffee are both grown here. Thankfully, it is possible to buy good quality versions of both here.

I'm not much of a tea aficionado, but I think the best tea you can buy here is imported from England... ironic, as the leaves are grown here, shipped there, processed there & shipped back here.

All the good decaf coffee here is grown here, processed in Switzerland & shipped back here.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Marti,

Could you e-mail me? I'd like to correspond with you but don't know how now that CP has closed.

Paula

Anonymous said...

I wish Jesus would just take care of the emotional maintenance without me.

oh, man, I hear that! I'm with you there. Yet at the same time, life is so much richer because He and I have worked through stuff together. I hated going through it, but it was soooo worth it afterward.

And for it to be really worthwhile you can't just show up, you have to work at it: to be willing to seek, hear, and believe painful truths and do the hard work of delving into ambiguous topics, even between sessions!

But, in all honesty, aren't you doing that anyway? Just in an unhealthy way? It does take a tremendous amount of energy and work to make counseling "pay off", but it takes just as much work keeping all the emotions and junk stuffed down and hidden away, or struggling with not letting them rule your life, or to stew and worry over stuff. All that takes just as much energy and work as counseling. So instead of looking at it as being more work, look at it as a re-allocation of resources. Same energy, just used for a different purpose.

And not all the truths will be painful. Yeah, a few will be painful, but most of them by far are going to be unbelievably healing, affirming and life-giving. If Phyllis is a godly woman, deeply connected to Jesus (which I suspect she is), she is going to remind you of how beautiful you are to God, how amazing you are, how not just resilient and flexible (which are highly admirable to begin with) you are but also how you are a woman of great strength, character, deep love, passion, creativity, deep insight and discernment, courage, determination and love, among many, many other positively wonderful things.

You need to be reminded, often, of just how valueable and valued and treasured you are, how highly esteemed you are by God. We all need to hear that often. We get so beat down by our own brokenness, our own propensity to see the negative and ignore the positive. And the enemy of our souls does his best to help us along in this. I think that's God made sure that the Bible tells us over and over to "encourage each other" and build each other up. We are so good at tearing ourselves down but lousy and building ourselves back up. We need each other's help.

So YAY for Phyllis, and YAY for YOU deciding to go!! We all walk beside you and will do whatever we can to help.

So... have you made the call yet? ;)

Marti said...

Hey, Lu - no, I haven't made the call yet... man, I hate making phone calls! You are right, I think, about the counseling thing: walking through life can be hard emotional work anyway, at least working with a counselor we can have some help with direction! It's not the only way but a good one. One of the scads of people who encouraged me to seek counseling is my supervisor at work, who pointed out how much time and energy it can really =save= to bring in a professional... true in many areas of life.

Barb - good for you, ready to throw off another of the sins that so easily entangles! Getting better is not fun, but staying trapped is worse, isn't it?

Paula - I'll write to you!

Paul - look forward to drinking coffee - and tea - with you when you're back in the States.

Tom - I think I'll write another entry about what you say, about God being glorified in the 'process.' Retreat speaker had some good things to say about that.

How fun to have fellowship with people, mostly old friends, in so many cities and countries. Thanks, all of you, for your friendship.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Marti, I'm gonna ask what Lu did before: did you call Phyllis yet? If I was there right now, I'd come over, hold you hand while you dial. I don't have phone phobia, but I do understand the fear of counseling (& heck, I thought i'd be one). . .the first call is the hardest part. But you are so ready to do this. And you've done so much of the work already thru your blog entries. Seriously. So just go call her now! Love you & hope to see you real soon. Praying for you too. -julie

Marti said...

OK, Jules: I did it. Thanks for your encouragement, virtually holding my hand. I left a message on her 'confidential voicemail.' Deb says now I can just wait and she will call me back to set an appointment time.

Like Barb, I don't want this stuff to keep getting me down. And as MaryLu says, the results may be "unbelievably healing, affirming and life-giving."